Anchor rope length for Nene

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

Have fun Traveller.

I bang on about it to anyone that will listen - the pumping museum at prickwillow on the Lark is very good.

http://www.prickwillow-engine-museum.co.uk/page19.htmlhtml

The Ely Ouse and tributaries give plenty of mostly lock free cruising.

Don't over look the relief Chanel at Denver, downham market is a pleasant little town, there is also some good moorings at stowbridge & wiggenhall, both with pubs and water points. The relief channel is not all that interesting cruising wise but it is normally very quiet and is a nice retreat from the main river.

I agree re both.

Do make sure you register using the computer at the lock into the relief channel - they ask for your licence number and mobile phone. I think this is so that if they go into full drainage mode then can warn you, and give you time to escape!

That bloody computer has never worked when we have been on the relief channel :-(

Nor for me.

I have a very fond memory of the Museum of Fenland Pumping; it was the first place ever to agree to give me the pensioner's discount after I retired early at the age of 55 nad was in receipt of a company pension (BTW I made up the difference as a donation anyway)

How many times have you done the Nene-Ouse trip?

. None mate and was,nt looking for a rant just think boats should have an anchor, I had engine failure on the sharpness canal once in windy weather and was sent spinning along the canal narrowly missing loads of parked boats before I managed to hook something with my boat hook having travelled over 100 yards We,d just bought the boat and never had an anchor but have always got it with me now, I look at it as my handbrake

I didn't think you had ;-)

Honestly, a mud weight, lump of concrete whatever is good enough on the Nene and Ouse. Its not serious lumpy stuff. No one should be out on or near SSA so major ground tackle is never needed.

The op does have an anchor and an adequate amount of chain should they get into difficulty.

As you say, keeping something to hand in case you run into trouble is a very good idea - especially if the boat is an unknown quantity.

The only time we have had call to use the mud weight is as an insurance policy against the scrotes untying us in Peterborough :-)

Fenland boating is something that worries a lot of people, I always try my hardest to dispel some of the scare stories, even if it is at the expense of a bit more traffic.... :-)

PS.

As mentioned previously - always make sure your emergency brake is well tied off on a stud or dolly.... :-)

Also worth mentioning.

Normal flow on the Nene is around 0.5 mph, benign and docile. in times of increased rainfall it will get to 1 - 1.5mph, it starts to get a bit more lively and can tax the more underpowered boats that pass thru.

Above this we are getting on for SSA and no one really should be on the move.

One slight correction, Clive at Willy Watts Marina no longer sells diesel. But if you PM me, you would be welcome to come & visit us at Blackthorn Lake (twixt Ringstead locks) I may have a last minute tour so can't say I'll be on our boats for definite. Hope to see you. Have a great & happy trip ;0)

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise Clive had knocked the juice on the head.

Must pop down and catch up with him soon.

It get's worse. That photo is of my Mark I mud-weight. The Mark II is even bigger, I reckon about 13 litres of concrete which is about 30kg,..

Beats going down to the gym I suppose :-)