MK Commando plugs & connectors IP44

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

I've been doing some tinkering with our 240v system and sorting out all the Arctic Blue leads & connections for shore line/generators etc. I needed a couple of male connectors so looked them up on screwfix where we bought the last lot years ago.

On browsing I came across these new type MK Commando so popped over to Screwfix earlier today to collect.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-commando-interlocked-straight-plug-16a-2p-e-200-250v-ip44/97317

Well I have to say what a superb product and what an improvement on the older type connectors. The quality of these newer plugs are excellent. The standard male connector is just £3.15 and the female £4.20 They are smaller, slimmer and much tougher that the older type, and really easy to fit. I also prefer the design.

There's no silly screws to hold the unit together, just a simple twist lock action to seal the plug. There's also a similar so simple to use twist action to firmly secure the cable on exit port and making it water tight as well. Also the internal electrical connections also have a bigger easily accessible screws.

I know the older type are quite cheap, but for the money these plugs & sockets are a quality product for a good price.

Edited by Julynian

They do look great, Thank for that, i actually need a cpl as well, so good timing.

You say they just sort of Twist together instead of being Secured with screws, is ths luckly t UN twist, or come apart when being coupled together or in use for example, or is it more positive !.

They do look great, Thank for that, i actually need a cpl as well, so good timing.

You say they just sort of Twist together instead of being Secured with screws, is ths luckly t UN twist, or come apart when being coupled together or in use for example, or is it more positive !.

Hi Paul.

The twist lock is clever It wont come apart during normal use. when you've connect the cable you fully twist to lock it in place, you'll hear a click. The only way to open it is using something to press a small retaining clip back through a small square hole on the side, a small to medium sized flat blade screwdriver would do the job. It locks nice and tight too.

The cable tightening Black twist knob is ingenious, as you twist, 3 white internal plastic shims move to the centre, much like viewing a drill chuck from the end. Grips the cable tightly and evenly. The black knob locks about every 1/4 turn so wont undo unless twisted by hand, very clever. Definitely a far superior grip to using 2 screws and plastic strip flattening the cable.

Edited by Julynian

Hi Paul, totally off topic but a topic dear to your heart. My mate a couple of boats away has a market stall and today he came home from a boot sale he was working and gave me a huge bag of Donuts! Apperently the woman who runs a Donut Stall has a soft spot for him and when ever they are working the same market "Bingo" free donuts.

Phil

Well I have to say what a superb product and what an improvement on the older type connectors. The quality of these newer plugs are excellent. The standard male connector is just £3.15 and the female £4.20 They are smaller, slimmer and much tougher that the older type, and really easy to fit. I also prefer the design.

There's no silly screws to hold the unit together, just a simple twist lock action to seal the plug. There's also a similar so simple to use twist action to firmly secure the cable on exit port and making it water tight as well. Also the internal electrical connections also have a bigger easily accessible screws.

I know the older type are quite cheap, but for the money these plugs & sockets are a quality product for a good price.

The new MK style is a recent copy of the ones made by PCE Austria, which have been made this way for many years and are standard in the entertainment industry:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCE-16A-240v-1ph-Male-Ceeform-Plug-IP44-Rated-/200913550692?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors

$T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHEmgBRYr6vBdrQ~~60_1.JP

Nevertheless it's a good high street price for a better then normal socket, as MK are usually rather pricey. I rather suspect the MK ones are made in China (yep they are made in China). smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

The new MK style is a recent copy of the ones made by PCE Austria, which have been made this way for many years and are standard in the entertainment industry:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCE-16A-240v-1ph-Male-Ceeform-Plug-IP44-Rated-/200913550692?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors

$T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHEmgBRYr6vBdrQ~~60_1.JP

Nevertheless it's a good high street price for a better then normal socket, as MK are usually rather pricey. I rather suspect the MK ones are made in China (yep they are made in China). smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Yep made in China, the originals seem a reasonable price too.

Hi guys...these have good cable grips etc but are still only IP44......both MK and Lewden plus probably lots of other firms do an IP67 version it will mate with the IP44 type but when both IP67 virtually watertight......sorry can't do links but 16A plugs and sockets are available at Tool station (p390) catalogue appliance inlets would probably have to be from an electrical wholesaler cheers.gif

Both pale when compared to the ceenorm quick connect version.

No screwdriver needed so even a user can put them on.

My favorite up to now has been Lewden but think I might try the Ceenorm IP67 type when my stock runs out...hadn't seen them before

edit for fat fingers (as normal)

Edited by John V

Both pale when compared to the ceenorm quick connect version.

You need to research a little better then, as PCE do a screwless type too: icecream.gif

http://www.distributionzone.com/store/industrial-plugs/product-pce-plug-2pe-16a-230-250v-50-60hz-ip44-turbo-twist/

http://www.distributionzone.com/store/industrial-sockets/product-pce-coupler-2pe-16a-230-250v-50-60hz-6h-ip44/

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Yes but PCE are regarded as crap within the ents industry only used as a last resort.

still better than those 'orrid crabtree 15A plugs that used to be on the baby's

Lots of places still have anything connected to a dimmer on 15amp connectors, anything requiring hot power is on 16amp. Means you can't plug a moving head into a dimmer.

Well I'm afraid you're sadly mistake again. :rolleyes:

They even do an all black version to blend in well when up in a lighting rig.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

No Pete not mistaken, having worked for some of the largest UK hire companies/suppliers (Neg Earth, AC Lighting to name the last two) I do know what I am talking about.

Most companies produce black quick connect versions I wasn't debating that point, the point was PCE are crap compared to many other makes.

What level do you work at in the industry?

No Pete not mistaken, having worked for some of the largest UK hire companies/suppliers (Neg Earth, AC Lighting to name the last two) I do know what I am talking about.

Most companies produce black quick connect versions I wasn't debating that point, the point was PCE are crap compared to many other makes.

What level do you work at in the industry?

I don't but have a good friend who's worked as a lampy for the last 20+ years mostly in a few medium sized venues in London among other things.

Spoke to him today and he said he doesn't even bother about brands, they get their connectors from a decent local electrical distributor.

Anyway he personally doesn't like the quick opening plug covers as the release tab can get mangled after a good few openings and prefers the plugs/sockets held together with screws. Also he doesn't like the cage clamp/lever wire connectors as it's 'harder to see what's going on'.

As he's a top bloke and fully explained his preferences I'm happy to take him at his word. Plus he doesn't have a massive chip on his shoulder! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~