Help! My boat is too shiny!!

Featured Posts

Okay, this may sound like a VERY strange question, but does anyone know how to 'de-shine' new paintwork?

I recently had my cabin sides painted with Craftmaster paint, very dark blue, not realising quite how shiny a finish it gives, and not realising quite how much of the rough cabin sides would show though when the light catches it! A satin/matt finish would hide these marks much better and it got me to thinking is there some kind of way of toning down the shine, or even a flatter varnish that can be added? Or any other tips would be welcome!

Cheers! boat.gif

You could probably put a coat of silk or Matt varnish over the gloss, flatting it down first to give it a key, but whether it would disguise the blemishes in steelwork I'm not certain. I'd be inclined to speak to Craftmaster to see if they could supply a suitable varnish, their gloss is excellent stuff. Certainly don't use polyurethane varnish, too hard.

As someone in the boat painting business, this is a first to me, most customers want to increase the gloss!

If you're going to Crick, seek out Phil Speight on the Craftmaster stall, he's better qualified to advise.

Good luck

Dave

From a self confessed shiney boater "You cannot be serious". icecream.gif

When we had our boat repainted a while ago now we were told you will never get similar finish to a car because of the way the steel is rolled.

Edited by Ray T

This reminds me of when our boat was used in the remake of the "Railway Children". The director deemed it to be too shiny and had it painted over with some concoction film makers use to make props look old.

I was assured that this was standard practice and that no harm would come to the paintwork. However, removing the patina of false grime involved the use of Brillo pads - so the film company had to pay for a re-paint!