Help me plan a route.

boaterdave

Featured Posts

Hi everyone......

I have decided to hire a boat from Mercia Marina this Sat. I`am pretty new to the midlands canals although ive done the four counties ring.

Is there any decent routes/rings you would advise? i don`t mind do roughly 8 hours a day and her in doors likes doing locks. i was thinking of the black county ring or the Stourport ring but not a 100% sure were we would join it?

all advice greatly recieved

Don't really know the area but a good start is the website www.canalplan.org.uk for route planning. Also, the hire firm is going to be experienced in the canals of the local area and can help you out in suggesting a route, taking into account your preferences for an easy route or a more demanding one etc. I had a quick look on their website and there is some info there.

From Mercia you could turn left and have 6 heavy locks to the Trent where you have a choice of the erewash, soar or Trent but with current rain that might not be a good idea.

If you turn right you have an easy 6ish hours to fradley junction from where you have two choices that both lead 4 ish hours later to choices.

The only ring you could do is the east midlands ring and everyone will say you can't do that in the 6 days you will have. We liked long days when we hired but I wouldn't attempt it and rivers could prove a problem anyway.

Don't have books on me at moment but from memory think would take best part of hiring week to get to and from nearest point on ring. You could do a mini ring by going up Birmingham and fazeley then garrison ashtead and Aston locks. You really nerd to look at canal planner, it's highly recommended though I've never used it.

Looks as though rivers are reacting to rain already had and with this weekend's predictions I wouldn't attempt anyway that involves a river.

You will still have to travel along the Trent at Alrewas but there has to be a lot of rain to shut that.

Not sure what ring that could be. Yes fradley is only a matter of hours from Mercia. At this time of year you could probably make it before dark on pick up day.

Interested to know where ring would be from there. I thought you would need to get to bottom Wolverhampton 21 to start)that's a further longish day away. I'm beginning to doubt my own knowledge. Those in the know are busy positioning themselves for the bcn challenge this weekend.

perhaps he means Fazeley after turning left at Fradley. Birminghamm and Fazeley, then either BCN main line, or Tame Valley canal, down Wolverhampton and return via Staffs and Worcs to Great Haywood.

Ah yes. I guess Wolverhampton to centre birm then back via fazeley could work. Definitely need to check canal planner.

The Mercia Marina website has a downloadable (PDF) route planning guide.

It reckons that the black country ring, including return to the marina is 105 miles 101 locks and recommends 8 days (two weekend plus the bit between them). It also states that the black country ring is the ONLY ring doable in a week.

Doing the black country ring, the center of Birmingham is on a hill so you spend a lot of time in an urban environment doing locks to get up the hill and then more locks to get down the other side. My guess is that it’s a bit much for a one week outing.

With a crew of only two people and assuming one week hire, as you have already done the four counties which includes bits of the T&M and Staffs & Worcs, I would do an out and return trip making for Snarestone at the end of the pretty Ashby canal.

The Mercia planner shows 48 locks and 78 hours over 10 days to reach Snarestone you may do it in less time or you may have to turn around and head back to base before reaching Snarestone but with a canal holiday it’s the traveling rather than the arriving that matters.

Thanks for your advice. I'd still really like to do the ring. Will have a think about it today. As always wanted to stop in gas street.but again I'd like to do the ashby. Good thing is we cab pick the boat up at 9am in the morning

Thanks for your advice. I'd still really like to do the ring. Will have a think about it today. As always wanted to stop in gas street.but again I'd like to do the ashby. Good thing is we cab pick the boat up uat 9am in the morning

If you really want to do it I reckon it's daauble esp if you can start Saturday morning. Also you have 15-16,hours light at this time of year. Not everyone's idea of fun but it is boating and that'd what you are paying for. It's a lot of locks but they are all easy to do. Make sure you have an anti vandal key or 2.

Also yoy will find much of that route quiet-less likely to be held up.

Do let us know how you get on.

Each to his own but if I had a whole week just to boat I'd be bored silly doing a no lock route, beautiful as the Ashby is.

As it's going to be a busy weekend, I would suggest you head for fazeley on Saturday then as far up curdworth on the b and f as you can. Sunday get into the centre of Birmingham. After that easy.

Each to his own but if I had a whole week just to boat I'd be bored silly doing a no lock route, beautiful as the Ashby is.

As it's going to be a busy weekend, I would suggest you head for fazeley on Saturday then as far up curdworth on the b and f as you can. Sunday get into the centre of Birmingham. After that easy.

I agree with you, I enjoy long boating days, early morning and late evening are some of the best times for me, but Boaterdave mentioned doing (only) 8 hours a day.

Boaterdave’s previous trip on the four counties ring would have consisted of 94 locks, 109 miles and taken about 8 or 9 hours a day, so the proposed trip of 101 locks and 105 miles from Mercia marina doing the Black Country ring isn’t so different, but some days will need more than 8 hours boating.

Most people go from the Curdworth flight on the B&F to Gas Street in one (long) day so that is 3 Minworth locks, 11 Locks Aston flight, 13 locks Farmers Bridge plus any of the 11 Curdworth locks that were not done the previous day, so a minimum of 27 locks, maximum38 locks.

We recently, in one day, went from Catherine-de-Barnes on the GU, up Knowle locks, through the B’ham Camp Hill flight, down to Salford Junction, and through the Curdworth flight to the Dog-in Doublet. It was relaxing as around B’ham there were no boats chasing us down the lock flights and the two of us were able to do the locks at our own pace.

It depends what type of holiday Boaterdave (and his other half) want to have.

Boaterdave, If you do decide to do the Black country ring think about using the BCN old mainline between Smethwick and Wolverhampton, it takes longer than using the new mainline but is much more interesting.

Alternatively, although the Ashby itself is lockless, there will still be 48 locks to negotiate,

Hope you have a great trip, we're doing exactly the same route the week after, Friday evening to Saturday or Sunday (I haven't had my work rota yet, so not sure if I'm working the Sunday).

It's our first cruise of more than a couple of days, Susan's still nervous of locks and refuses to steer, so I thought a couple of lock-free days would go down well.

ETA Do you know the name of the boat? I'll look out for you on the way back.

Edited by Beaker