The Humber has struck again

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Loved it. Concept of "tide" a bit lacking in some Yotties brains ?

Yorkshire Post referring to "River" Humber (picture caption)!! Whatever next? Referring to Saddleworth as being in Lancashire?

What don't you understand about "River Humber" ?

The river Humber is from Trent Falls to the estuary 36.5 miles under the authority of Associated British Ports

This is of interest to me being not far from my mooring and that i am contemplating a trip to Beverley at some point. Just goes to emphasize that i need to enroll on a course or two. Any posts about this area which aren't preceeded by the word "Grim" and don't treat it like it's a fantastical world where your boat will be hyjacked and children sold into slavery make interesting reading.

Confession ! Of yet another Clueless Boatman.

Being perfect must be such a burden to bear.

Although I haven't been Caught out to that degree, I have unintentionally run aground for a tide,,,, Actually I can recall a cpl of occasions now over 30 yrs or so,,,blush.png Funny enough mostly on the East Coast !.

Thankfully, never serious, & only for a few hrs at a time while waiting for the Tide to turn & give me enough water to proceed up a ditch or creek.

The intentionally times was to check the bottom or play Cricket on a more sandy south coast bank with fellow cruisers for an hr or so, just to say we did it.& I still say that wasn't out !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Heading up the Ray Gut at Leigh on Sea its quite common for people to get caught out...the normal thing is to get out and pretend to be scrubbing the bottom or painting...."of course I meant to be here"

I find it very helpful when determining as to open a link or not, if some of the subject matter (or headline) can be posted to give a brief overview

The Humber has struck again could have a variety of meanings.

I'm imagining a Hillman Humber with a dangerous driver, though I expect few of those are still on the roads, and any that are will be driven carefully.

Don't post it then! save it for a yachtie's forum, as not much interest here.

Hi ya,

What an odd comment to make !.

How could someone possibly know, before posting if a particular post is going to be of interest to members or not ?.

It's posted in General Boating, a board that clearly says 'Waterways of the World' in it's heading,it involves a Boat, on one of the waterways of the world, it's a point that might be discussed by members of a discussion forum !.

I'm certainly one of the interested members of such a post. Thanks NC.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I'm imagining a Hillman Humber with a dangerous driver, though I expect few of those are still on the roads, and any that are will be driven carefully.

I am imagining you are thinking of a Hillman Hunter or a Humber hawk, super snipe, imperial or Sceptre etc megalol

Isn't there a shallow patch (old Roman ford?) in the Trent that the gravel barges sometimes got stuck on if the water was low?

Yes there is but that's much further upstream on the Trent.

Erm, no!

There are many members on here who boat in the area. So it is as valid a topic on here as it is on any "yottie" forum.

Yes there is but that's much further upstream on the Trent.

Erm, no!

There are many members on here who boat in the area. So it is as valid a topic on here as it is on any "yottie" forum.

I should imagine very few have taken a canal boat out there though and that means a narrowboat not a high speed river cruiser like yours.

Edited by Northernboater

I should imagine very few have taken a canal boat out there though and that means a narrowboat not a high speed river cruiser like yours.

You would be wrong again, unless of course you think the narrowboats on the River Hull, Beverley Beck and Ancholme can fly!

Northernboater, on 21 May 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Its a perfectly valid topic in a boating forum what is your problem?

Northernboater, on 21 May 2014 - 1:14 PM, said:

The forum isn't for the exclusive use of Narrow boaters....

In fact 'shock horror' you don't actually have to have a boat of any description to be a member and take part.