Lady of the Lake back in Ullswater...

Featured Posts

She is one of 5 in their fleet. For many years there was just the Lady and her sister ship The Raven launched 1889.

Now their fleet includes

MV Western Belle Millbrook Steamboat & Trading Co. Ltd 1935

MV Lady Dorothy

MV Lady Wakefield River Dart Steamboat Co Ltd 1949

A few typos, but should not detract from a very elegant ship being back in the water.

Having done it, I can wholeheartedly recommend the trip on Ullswater, and no matter how dedicated a walker you are, don't skimp on the cruise, do the whole trip there and back, you can reach your walk by car or on a second trip.

Two years ago there was also a discount if you did both this and the Ravevglass and Eskdale Railway.

Two years ago there was also a discount if you did both this and the Ravevglass and Eskdale Railway.

As the same company owns both there is still a discount on t'laal ratty if you buy the ticket which allows you to "sail all day" on the steamers.

Both well worth a visit, but being Cumbrian I may be a little biased.

Years ago, while camping with friends beside Ullswater, I remember going on a steamer and then visiting the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway. Would this have been a trans-Ullswater ship or one on a different lake?

Years ago, while camping with friends beside Ullswater, I remember going on a steamer and then visiting the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway. Would this have been a trans-Ullswater ship or one on a different lake?

A different lake. The railway terminates on Windermere, and if your boat trip was on a proper steamer, she may have been the Gondola, which has recently been fully restored:-

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/gondola/opening-times/

Unfortunately, the common term for a trip boat on Windermere is a steamer, no matter what the engine is.

Thanks. This was in about 1975, so I can't recall the exact details of the ship*. I think I must have caught a bus to Windermere and then crossed on the ship.

*Though, strangely, I do remember that the locomotive in steam was a 2-6-4 tank.

Thanks. This was in about 1975, so I can't recall the exact details of the ship*. I think I must have caught a bus to Windermere and then crossed on the ship.

*Though, strangely, I do remember that the locomotive in steam was a 2-6-4 tank.

You can get the steamers from Waterhead (Ambleside) or Bowness on Windermere to get down to Lakeside, always a good day out and one I try to do when ever I get chance to go back home. Well that and drinking in the Golden Rule in Ambleside