Liveaboards in Birmingham

Featured Posts

I've been reading about the HS2 development in Birmingham and about the so-called "canal quarter".

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Tell you what, let's hear yours first

Richard

Well, as I don't have a boat in Birmingham yet my opinion wouldnt be based on any actual experience.

I think any investment in the canals would be welcome - having lived in Brum for 10ish years some of the canal network looks like its been abandoned. I hope the new money, if and when it comes, would help to redress this.

Narrowboats played a crucial role in Brum's development yet its not something Birmingham takes much interest in beyond encouraging tour boats. I think there needs to be more of a focal point for boaters, esp liveaboards and narrowboat-based business, in the city.

What particular shop?

MtB

Repeating myself...

Quote:

I'm heading down to Merry Hill on Friday, to check out that Clas Ohlsen shop. And the Bull & Bladder of course.

I used to live around Kings Norton - it seems nice but has a terrible problem with graffiti and litter.

One of the boats I was thinking of getting would need to come up the GU from whilton. What are the main things to look out for on the GU?

The biggest problem you will have is that all of the boats from Whilton are programmed to head South out of the Marina.

You may have read the recent thread "Where do boats go when they die" and the response was :

"They go to Whilton, and are given a single coat of blacking, and sold for £15-20K as an ideal liveaboard boat with a map of the route to London thrown in free of charge".

Make sure you have your boat comprehensively surveyed by an Independent Surveyor, and find out if it is a Whilton owned (Stock Boat) or if it is an individual selling it with Whilton purely acting as a Broker.

Whilton will tell you its not a 'stock boat', which means it does not come under the Sale of Goods Act

An interesting topic. More livaboards on the bcn would make some areas safer. Certainly it would be good to see monument rd basin used, it seems such a waste. Similarly the new main line after Vincent st bridge had 7 or so boats moored there last September when the floating market was on which seemed a good use. However the centre has relatively few 14day moorings and it does seem more difficult to find one which can make planning tricky.