Leaking hatch

hilaryb

Featured Posts

Just noticed the sliding hatch at stern and over the bedroom is letting in water when it rains. Any help / advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why should it not leak?

That sounds a stupid question, but if you think about an answer to it you may see what is going wrong - thus how to cure it.

Me, I know nothing, but I try to help. It was our back doors that let in drafts and wet. When I thought about it, I realised that keeping them closed depended on the padlock. So what I did was put a reed into the padlock hole (weak enough that we could break out if there was a fire, or anything). That kept the doors properly closed, and the problems went away. That almost certainly won't solve your problem, but it might indicate a process that will work for you.

Best of luck (I know that such proplems can be a real PITA),

Roger,

Edited by MyLady

Ours used to let in rain that bounced off the roof & came in the front end, I remedied that by sticking a piece of rubber to the edge of the opening with mastic to seal the gap, not had a problem since.

Ours used to let in rain that bounced off the roof & came in the front end, I remedied that by sticking a piece of rubber to the edge of the opening with mastic to seal the gap, not had a problem since.

Our hatch developed a leak. At first it was difficult to determine quite how of from where this originated. Eventually, determined that water was collecting on the exposed runner bars, then running back under the hatch, then down into the cabin.

The solution for us was to stick some rubber on the runner bar butting up to the brass slide. This caused the water to run off before getting under the hatch and the problem was solved. Used a couple of pieces of Treadmaster step pad to achieve this.

I think my explanation has even confused me!

Or a draft excluder brush http://www.jaseals.co.uk/p-domestic_draught_excluder_15mm_brush.htm?gclid=CMagv9Pqjb4CFe3JtAodfwgAhA

Some hatches have drainage holes in the framework underneath the hatch runners, especially when there is a pronounced curve across the roof. If so, these tend to get blocked frequently by leaves etc.

As most boats sit slightly lower at the stern for much of the time, rainwater gathers between the hatch rails and flows over the hatch-combing. Depending of course on the design of the hatch, the answer may simply be to drill a couple or holes through the slider rail support to allow water to drain away down the roof.