Hatz Air Cooled Diesel for Boat Propulsion

QDos

Featured Posts

Hi QDos,

I don't have experience of Hatz engines in boats but I worked for a tree surgery company that had a 3 cylinder air-cooled Hatz powering a TP wood chipper. It was a very rugged and powerful bit of kit which never let us down. It would start on the button every time, even in the depths of winter; it was kept outside so some mornings was covered in snow. Service parts were easily obtained but I've no idea about other components as in the 10 or so years the company owned it it never needed any, even though it was used virtually every day and worked hard.

Hope this is of some help.

Rusty

I don't know but aren't these units shockingly noisy?

And I am entirely unsure whether you would want to replace an LR2 anyway, unless its too noisy. You can get parts and replacement Listers easily enough.

"Whether" was meant to be "why"

I don't know but aren't these units shockingly noisy?

And I am entirely unsure whether you would want to replace an LR2 anyway, unless its too noisy. You can get parts and replacement Listers easily enough.

"Whether" was meant to be "why"

Didnt Lister go into recievership last month>

Peter

The logic goes that my boat was designed to have an air cooled engine around 10HP. The existing LR2 is a fine piece of engineering and will probably last for ever but being air cooled and in a confined space it is noisy and hot . As advised I have been working through the cooling issue quite sucessfully but at the expense of noise. Just seeing what options are available to me should I decide to re-engine at some time bearing in mind that I dont have any water cooling.

Q

Used to work on them and Deutz air cooled as donkey engines driving cement tanker screw compressors, as said above tough old things, Hatz also quite clever, if fan belt fails a rod shoots of of the back of the fuel rail and stops the engine, engine covers used to rust after a few years, but they were outside 24/7

In the end they all got replaced with std water cooled engines in acoustic enclosures, mainly due to the noise of the blower and the engine combined!

Edited by lynalldisocvery

QDos

If you want a quieter engine and assumimg its a normal steel narrowboat you could look into having a skin tank welded into the side of the swim. this would open the option of fitting a water cooled engine which can be made a lot quieter than anything air cooled and gives you a wider choice of power unit.

Then fit a little Sabb single cylinder or a Volvo md1.

Or similar

Thanks - didnt know you could retrofit a skin tank. Is this to the outside of the hull on the swims ?

The MD1 looks a bit small @ 7HP , probably need something around 13-20 HP ( 33ft steel narowboat)

Q

Thanks - didnt know you could retrofit a skin tank. Is this to the outside of the hull on the swims ?

The MD1 looks a bit small @ 7HP , probably need something around 13-20 HP ( 33ft steel narowboat)

Q

Outside is relatively straightforward, but if you have room and access you may be able to fit one to the inside of the swim. Search for Blackrose's thread where he did just that (on a wide beam).

The Hatz air cooled range are bomb proof, strangly enough there new watercooled jobs seem just as noisey, i think if you opted for an air cooled hatz fitted with the silence cocoon body, the noise wouldnt be to bad.

Thanks - the silenced box looks a good option , however still have the problem of getting cold air in and hot air out of a confined space.

I like the idea of getting cooling tanks welded to the outside of the swims - little access for inside tanks. Can then use any of the many conventional water cooled engines on the market.

One to price up when next out of the water .

Cheers

Q

It's more work during the conversion but usually water cooled engines are much quieter to run and stand near.

If you delve deeply you will find space for a skin tank -possibly in the swim. You will also gain heat for hot water and radiators if you rebuild the cooling water system to a calorifier etc. There seems little point in blowing surplus heat off the engine to outside then burning fuel for space and water heating. The cost of fuel is not going to slump any time soon, and some saving on fuel will likely offset the cost of the rebuild.

Be very careful that the proposed engine and the existing stern tube can be made to align.