Featured Posts

Does anyone on here own a Gary Gorton boat with a cratch drainage system below the water line? My problem is when it rains I obviously get a fair bit of water in the cratch which should travel down a concealed pipe via two drainage holes the length of the boat into the back of the engine bay where I can use the bilge pump to get rid of it. I'm assuming this pipe is now blocked preventing the water to drain away. Have to get rid of it using a pump on the end of a drill. Have tried copius amounts of caustic soda to no avail. All suggestions gratefully recieved esp from anyone whose had a similar problem. The boat is a 58 footer by the way

I've got a Gary Gorton 45ft, but the cratch drainage is straight over the side through the heart shaped holes.

The cruiser stern drainage is through the gaps in the engine hatch covers, then along the channels and out the side through tubes. The drainage from the step down to the rear doors is through two tubes which exit over the side. Sometimes the tubes and channels get blocked, but they are short enought to get a stretched coat hanger down to clear.

I've got a Gary Gorton 45ft, but the cratch drainage is straight over the side through the heart shaped holes.

The cruiser stern drainage is through the gaps in the engine hatch covers, then along the channels and out the side through tubes. The drainage from the step down to the rear doors is through two tubes which exit over the side. Sometimes the tubes and channels get blocked, but they are short enought to get a stretched coat hanger down to clear.

Thanks Richard, strange system on mine, the cratch floor is below waterlevel on mine hence the two drainage holes in the floor. But far to long to push anything down unless as usual I'm somehow missing something really obvious :-)

A lot of 'older' boats used a wet bilge system for cockpit drainage.

Try using a length of flexible curtain rail of the sort used for net curtains. It's great for this type of unblocking.

Thanks PJ. Thats not a bad idea. Flexible enough as well esp for the 90 degree angle I have to start it at

Can you attach an air line and blow it through?

Thanks Richard, being a cheapskate :-) I'm trying to do it on the cheap at first. Don't really have access to an airline or know anyone with a compressor. Half thought of Dyno Rod but big shiny vans mean big shiny pounds :-)

You'd be surprised how much pressure can be applied using a footpump (car type) - I once used one to clear the diesel lines to a fire. Obviously sealing the hole is not easy, but can be done. Might just loosen whatever is blocking the pipe.

You'd be surprised how much pressure can be applied using a footpump (car type) - I once used one to clear the diesel lines to a fire. Obviously sealing the hole is not easy, but can be done. Might just loosen whatever is blocking the pipe.

Thanks Mike, thinking about it shouldn't be too hard to make it airtight. Ill give that one some thought

You could probably hire a smallish air compressor - the sort used for power tools?

You read my mind Richard. Just looking at speedy hire now :-)

Do you have a cratch cover?

We have a Reeves Hull which has a similar drainage system. I personally do not like the idea but am willing to live with it.

I find a cover essential. Our cover keeps out 99% of the water.

Rob, I have a 240v portable air compressor, if you have need please PM me.

Edited by Ray T

Do you have a cratch cover?

We have a Reeves Hull which has a similar drainage system. I personally do not like the idea but am willing to live with it.

I find a cover essential. Our cover keeps out 99% of the water.

Rob, I have a 240v portable air compressor, if you have need please PM me.

Thanks Ray, yes I have a cratch cover which I keep down in the winter but like to keep it up in the summer. I'm a bit too idle I'm afraid to keep putting it down at the first sign of rain plus its a bit of a pain moored to a three quarter length pontoon. Many thanks for the offer of your compressor, will bear it in mind. Probably going to try the curtain wire trick first :-)

A pint of hydrochloric acid poured down each tube would probably clear them too...

:)

MtB

Thanks Mike but I'm leathal enough with a cup of hot coffee never mind a pint of acid :-)

Thanks Ray, yes I have a cratch cover which I keep down in the winter but like to keep it up in the summer. I'm a bit too idle I'm afraid to keep putting it down at the first sign of rain plus its a bit of a pain moored to a three quarter length pontoon. Many thanks for the offer of your compressor, will bear it in mind. Probably going to try the curtain wire trick first :-)

Thanks Mike but I'm leathal enough with a cup of hot coffee never mind a pint of acid :-)

A safer idea might be to fill each pipe with water, then use one of those sink waste plungers that's in the format of a giant syringe to suck and blow the water up and down.

The blockage is probably a fairly fragile mixture of rust, spider webs etc.

MtB

A safer idea might be to fill each pipe with water, then use one of those sink waste plungers that's in the format of a giant syringe to suck and blow the water up and down.

The blockage is probably a fairly fragile mixture of rust, spider webs etc.

MtB

Thanks Mike, another good idea. I've got one of those plungers I could try that. Actually only have the one pipe to unblock as the one drain hole joins the other by a short cross pipe. As I say my best idea has been caustic soda but that hasnt worked but at least I had warm hands :-) :-)

I'd be very careful about any 'chemical' remedies

Don't forget that everything is going to be draining across the top of your base plate down to the stern of the boat

Is it?

I thought the OP said there was a pair of concealed tubes running the length of the boat, discharging into the engine bay. If this is right then the chemicals remain in the tubes unless they have rusted through which seems unlikely, as the OP's complaint is that they are blocked!

MtB

Is it?

I thought the OP said there was a pair of concealed tubes running the length of the boat, discharging into the engine bay. If this is right then the chemicals remain in the tubes unless they have rusted through which seems unlikely, as the OP's complaint is that they are blocked!

MtB

Thanks Mike, another saved reply :-)

I stand corrected. Didn't read the OP properly

No worries PJ :-). I think its a scaffold pole or a couple welded together so im assuming would be quite thick to accept chemical cleaners without too many problems he said optimistically :-)