Shardlow/Derby to London/River Lee

jhoff

Featured Posts

Hello hello all,

I am bringing a slightly old, but good condition, 1983 Harborough Marine cruiser stern (with a nicely running BMC 1.8) from Shardlow Marina area down to London at the beginning of May.

I am kind of hoping to do it in 11 days, although I can stretch to a couple of days longer, of driving basically every day. I've driven it and it handles nicely - much nicer than the other boats I have driven - but I am really an inexperienced boater. I've done locks, but never alone, for instance.

Does anybody have any tips for long cruises, or recommended stopping places along that route (I've had a spy on CanalPlan and it looks like it's basically Grand Union all the way down) or words of warning for certain places? I'd really, really appreciate any advice and stories you might have.

I hear the Trent, which I'll have to go on for a little bit, can be quite fast and difficult for new boaters - any thoughts?

Also, I just want to say, yes, I anticipate the eye rolls and hostility when it becomes clear I am another CCer bringing a boat to London - I've read the threads and heard from London CCing friends, I know about the lack of facilities, the lack of space, the rookies bashing into things and tying up in terrible places and generally being dicks. Feel free to express more opinions like this, I'll listen to it, but I also would really like it if some people might be able to offer me some useful advice and past experiences.

If you are single handing I suspect you are being a little optimistic...esp. if you are relatively inexperienced.

I have just been checking my log for that trip and single handing I took 14 days but I did get waylaid at Sun lock, as I foolishly went for a lunchtime pint that lasted till late that night.....far too many real ales!

Mostly though I was cruising for about 8/9 hours a day.

I've driven it and it handles nicely - much nicer than the other boats I have driven - but I am really an inexperienced boater.

.... am another CCer bringing a boat to London -

Isn't that contradictory?

And CCing in London is a miserable existence and it will only get worse as the battle lines are drawn. Find somewhere else to freeload.

Do your "pre-flight" checks before you untie in the morning, oil level, water level, inspection of belts.Grease the stern gland when you stop at night, take it slow in locks and don't forget to always keep boat forward of the cill going down, it's easy to get distracted or complacent. Try and share locks where possible it's less work and if you're lucky you might be able to team up with another boat headed in your direction.

Good luck, enjoy the trip.

Edited by JDR

Isn't that contradictory?

And CCing in London is a miserable existence and it will only get worse as the battle lines are drawn. Find somewhere else to freeload.

Well that's a bit mean, what I usually say to anyone who tells me this is what they want to do is, 'what is your plan B? What do you plan to do if/when this becomes unsustainable?' Do you have a plan B?

We have a mooring, but even we have a plan B (for if/when the mooring becomes unaffordable). We've just put the first stage of this into effect with large purchase of solar panels.

Its is mean but it is true. Cruel to be kind. Managing a sizeable boat takes a lot of energy and passion. I see a lot of people in London who are caught in a trap of their own making - they had none of the energy and passion, they bought a boat thinking it was basically like a flat. And they are caught in a spiral of slum living. I have a London mooring that I pay £xkpa for. Without it I wouldn't bother having a boat here. Life is hard enough without pushing yourself past the doable!

If your 1983 Harborough boat has the same high freeboard and nice underwater shape, sharp fine boaty bows and long rear swims as the early Harborough boats had, unlike most modern n/b's, it will cut through the water like a knife, using little engine power, you can easily speed over the limit of 4mph with minimal power on when no ones looking without causing a big breaking wash. It should zoom the Trent in a blink of an eye.

If your 1983 Harborough boat has the same high freeboard and nice underwater shape, sharp fine boaty bows and long rear swims as the early Harborough boats had, unlike most modern n/b's, it will cut through the water like a knife, using little engine power, you can easily speed over the limit of 4mph with minimal power on when no ones looking without causing a big breaking wash. It should zoom the Trent in a blink of an eye.

Zoom zoom and then comes the Soar !

Canalplan.EU says 13 days @7hrs per day but I personally prefer longer days as it allows less hurrying :)

IMO 7 hours in a day is for holidays. Moving a boat 10 hours minimum this time of year preferably more

Zoom zoom and then comes the Soar !

Yes and if it keeps on soaring it can soar up and over the Foxton locks without all the palaver of doing them, as long as it descends again in time for the tunnel.

Canalplan.EU says 13 days @7hrs per day but I personally prefer longer days as it allows less hurrying smile.png

my timing was for single handing and enjoying it. trouble is with paper plans they don't allow for following a very slow widebeam who won't give way for overtaking nor for removing a dead muntjac from paddle gear

Yes and if it keeps on soaring it can soar up and over the Foxton locks without all the palaver of doing them, as long as it descends again in time for the tunnel.

and trying to keep clear in your head what you are doing and still give reasonably polite answers going up Foxton on a busy dayfrusty.gif

Its is mean but it is true. Cruel to be kind. Managing a sizeable boat takes a lot of energy and passion. I see a lot of people in London who are caught in a trap of their own making - they had none of the energy and passion, they bought a boat thinking it was basically like a flat. And they are caught in a spiral of slum living. I have a London mooring that I pay £xkpa for. Without it I wouldn't bother having a boat here. Life is hard enough without pushing yourself past the doable!

In your experience did anyone ever listen to your advice though? In my experience - No! :D

my timing was for single handing and enjoying it. trouble is with paper plans they don't allow for following a very slow widebeam who won't give way for overtaking nor for removing a dead muntjac from paddle gear

and trying to keep clear in your head what you are doing and still give reasonably polite answers going up Foxton on a busy dayfrusty.gif

Through a megaphone from above, which can also be used as an ear trumpet to listen to the questions. closedeyes.gif

and close your eyes to temptation at Sun lock ! cheers.gif

Gosh last time we had to bring Rallentando back to London in a hurry (from Enslow Wharf on the Oxford) we screwed up on the first night, getting absolutely hammered in Oxford and ending up going to a Thames river party with a friend. :D Big fail.

Its not easy living on the towpath in London but it is doable for a lot of people. Obviously

Doable as long as you don't have distractions like a job, a social life, hobbies and interests!

Living on a boat without mains electricity and water requires a major amount of work.

I was going to do some kind of massive multiquote but it got a bit crazy. So - in no particular order or response:

JDR - thank you for this! Sounds like a solid checklist and I'll definitely bear it in mind.

WJM - I have heard many horror stories and have been told many things about CCing in London, plus have had my good pal, a CCer, come crawling to crash in my flat on occasion during the super cold 2012/13 to shower and generally be warm, so I feel as though I am aware of misery. I fully expect to also be shocked by the actual experience of this misery, but I'm kind of masochistically feeling quite up for it...

Also, I've had a little go on various friends' boats, but never long distances, so I know what other boats feel like to drive, but I have never done long cruises.

Lady Muck - you're very nice to come to my defence. I don't think it was particularly mean though - it's probably quite a good idea to be brutal enough to lower possible expectations of jolly happy river living and cheap rent and an easy life. I don't have an extensive plan B, but if it truly is a terrible horrible awful shock, I don't feel as though I would have lost out by selling on and running away back to land. I also intend to leave London hopefully in the not too distant future, but this is all very job dependent.

John V - you're right, I'm trying to convince as many friends and family as possible to come and join me for some days so I won't have to be single-handed. I think realistically at least one or two of those days might be solo, but I think most of the time I'll have someone with me.

bizzard - yes, it is built like that - well, the high freeboard for sure, but I'm not really sure what a nice underwater shape counts as? I've been told it has, in a past life, handled the Thames without too much difficulty, but I don't know what the Trent is like. That is reassuring to know though.

magnetman - I'm not so sure about 6am starts, but I could definitely be on the go by 8am I reckon... Still, I'm aiming for 9 hour days to give myself time to be slow and enjoy it a bit more.

Thankssssss for all the tips and such so far! I do really appreciate it.

Also I've been looking at maps to get (are maps even necessary? I do like maps so I might get a bunch of maps anyway) but are there any recommended ones for canal cruising?

My personal favourite "Nicholson Waterways guide", You would need 2 volumes for that journey No.s 1 and 3 .........................."Damn someone just beat me".................... and they 'ain't particularly cheap. Enjoy your trip, don't make it too much like hard work cheers.gif

OP: Do you feel even a little bit bad admitting publicly that you will be illegally freeloading?... taking up moorings that should be available for genuine cruising boats and generally making the London canals a less pleasant place to be for all other legitimate users. You are adding to an already significant problem. Are you aware that CaRT appear to be moving in to stamp out the very behaviour that you are starting into?

Edited by WJM

Couple of thoughts.

Have you considerd going the other way, down to Fradley onto Oxford and down the Thames. mostly single locks apart from the Thames and they are keeper operated or electric. Might be easier if you are single handing.

Are you aware of Canalplan, Google it, you can print out directions and maps.

Ken