stort navigation

Featured Posts

If you are new to the Stort I would suggest you resist any idea to share locks, especially with plastic boats, even if your total length is less than the 87 feet working length of the locks.

Hope you're intending to explore the river up to the limit of navigation while you're up here!

Edited by PiRSqwared

The locks on the Stort are pretty mild in operation. We often work with two boats in a lock, not narrowboats side by side of course but line ahead with sometimes a little bow to stern overlap. We can at a pinch get a 60' and a 35' narrow boat in the locks together with this overlap, but careful operating the paddles. Watch Harlow lock which is I think the deepest lock on the Stort.

The locks on the Stort are pretty mild in operation. We often work with two boats in a lock, not narrowboats side by side of course but line ahead with sometimes a little bow to stern overlap. We can at a pinch get a 60' and a 35' narrow boat in the locks together with this overlap, but careful operating the paddles. Watch Harlow lock which is I think the deepest lock on the Stort.

Isn't it also the one with the incredibly short balance beam?

Many thanks for the replies guys, we intend stopping at Roydon marina village for a couple of months while we visit family & I can celebrate my 70 the birthday in July.

The main point of distinction in comparison with others parts of the system, apart from the strange widrth, is that they generally only have one way of crossing the lock, normally at the bottom end. There are no top gate walkways. This can mean extra walking - especially as it seems that local mythology says that despite what CRT may say on locks, dparture gates should always be left open, both of them even if you don't need to. Guarantees that the next boat rew has extra walking before they can enter!

Otherwise, it is a delightful xeperience, well worth bashing through London to get to.

Edited by Mike Todd

The main point of distinction in comparison with others parts of the system, apart from the strange widrth, is that they generally only have one way of crossing the lock, normally at the bottom end. There are no top gate walkways. This can mean extra walking - especially as it seems that local mythology says that despite what CRT may say on locks, dparture gates should always be left open, both of them even if you don't need to. Guarantees that the next boat rew has extra walking before they can enter!

Otherwise, it is a delightful xeperience, well worth bashing through London to get to.

Only if they are following you...and then they save having to close behind them...very useful ad some of the lock landings are poorly positioned due to the nature of the river.

As the locks are not double width, not opening both gates results in rubbing, which damages them.

Edited by PiRSqwared