Lister throttle control

by'eck

Featured Posts

Shows it in my old 1966 Lister Blackstone parts manual for engine types LRM and SRM. Part No 572-10430, a friction disc combined stop and speed control, as an alternative to the ratchet and pawl type.

Edited by bizzard

Yes, standard fitment on H series as well as SR etc marine units. The stop facility seems to have been disconnected in short order, or never used, in installations that I've seen. Probably unsatisfactory when the control is fitted remotely.

They used a cable for the throttle and rods for the stop, IIRC.

Tim

Edit - on reflection, they might originally have been designed the other way - rod for speed and cable for stop. I've got one somewhere, I'll look it out & study it when I've nothing better to do.

I do know that the 'ratchet' detent tended to get a bit weak after some years' use & they would slip back from high speed settings.

The later small engines just came with a simple iron & steel 'ratchet' lever for throttle only, or maybe the fancy bronze dual purpose control was an 'extra'?

Edited by Timleech

Yes, standard fitment on H series as well as SR etc marine units. The stop facility seems to have been disconnected in short order, or never used, in installations that I've seen. Probably unsatisfactory when the control is fitted remotely.

They used a cable for the throttle and rods for the stop, IIRC.

Tim

Edit - on reflection, they might originally have been designed the other way - rod for speed and cable for stop. I've got one somewhere, I'll look it out & study it when I've nothing better to do.

I do know that the 'ratchet' detent tended to get a bit weak after some years' use & they would slip back from high speed settings.

The later small engines just came with a simple iron & steel 'ratchet' lever for throttle only, or maybe the fancy bronze dual purpose control was an 'extra'?

Just had that job to do and took longer than expected. My stop mechanism is a cycle cable that fixes to the lever on the engine and then threads around a control handle mounted on a wooden block (with the throttle and gear mechs). Was fearful the inner cable could get stuck in the casing when trying to remove it but patience and pliers saved the day.

I had to partly dismantle the throttle and gear mechanisms as well but the synchronising pushbutton now pushes in quite easily.

One of those jobs that takes a while and a fair amount of cussing and cursing in the process.