Facetime for Android

geoffwales

Featured Posts

Does anyone know an app i can download on android to video chat with someone who uses Facetime on Apple ipad.

Cheers

I seriously doubt it.

FaceTime is pretty well locked down to apple,

You will need to to find something that works cross platform... Skype perhaps?

I have skype but unfortunately they are reluctant to download it and want to stay with facetime

Then you need an Apple device........sorry.

It's how apple works, once you get it and once you don't mind being sucked in to it you realise resistance is futile.....

Edited by The Dog House

IT is a nightmare, son persuaded me to get a portable wi-fi connection, now my phones have given up on wifi when ti tried to get them all connected and i have had to buy internet time at a hotel to use computer. i think i have done something not quite right, its all soooo blo--y difficult, instructions are in a different language--computer talk. So i aim to take computer plus mobile into the 3 shop, dump on counter, sit down and tell them to sort--they persuade one to buy and then leave un lurch. HATE HATE technology. All i want is internet access . Tim told me ideal for canals, shop tells me ideal for canals so why don't it work.

No, sorry I meant it works across Apple and Android. It has a video chat function. I use it on my Android to talk to my daughter on her ipod touch.

Indeed a bit like Skype then...

The original question was about connecting to apples FaceTime hence I thought you meant your suggestion connected to and allowed video calls via that too.

I misunderstood, apologies.

i have an android and my daughter has an iphone, we use TANGO it has to be installed on both phones and is free from here http://www.tango.me/ works the same as facetime.

Looked at that but as in OP needs to be something that will talk to facetime, appreciate everyones effort it looks like i will have to get one of those little ipod classics apparently that has facetime on it

Looked at that but as in OP needs to be something that will talk to facetime, appreciate everyones effort it looks like i will have to get one of those little ipod classics apparently that has facetime on it

They don't as it needs to be a device running iOS.

So you'll need to look at an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad (both regular and mini).

Edited by IanM

Fraid not.

You need a later Apple device like an iPhone (4 upwards) or an iPad (2 upwards) to get FaceTime. On an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 FaceTime doesn't work over the phone network, only over wi-fi. To get FaceTime over the phone network aswell you need an even later Apple device.

A bit of info. here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4319

Typical Apple. They take someone else's idea (Skype) and make their own version which only works on Apple products. Then before you know it you've got a million iSheep demanding that you use Facetime instead of Skype because they're too lazy to install Skype.

Bah.

Morat, on 17 Apr 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Typical Apple. They take someone else's idea (Skype) and make their own version which only works on Apple products. Then before you know it you've got a million iSheep demanding that you use Facetime instead of Skype because they're too lazy to install Skype.

Bah.

Some would say that is a brilliant business strategy....

Some would say that is a brilliant business strategy....

There no denying it makes LOTS of money. It just irritates me. Perhaps I should write Apple a good stiff letter :)

Morat, on 17 Apr 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

There no denying it makes LOTS of money. It just irritates me. Perhaps I should write Apple a good stiff letter smile.png

aye that'll sort it....wink.png

I used to be a bit anti Apple for all the usual reasons but you cant get away from the fact that their products are pretty good if a little over priced for what they are. I have also found that they are not as tying as people often say they are because as people have pointed out alternative apps. are often available.

Also you can find add on programs like the iCloud link which works cross platform linking up all the browsers on my iPad, iPhone and Windows PC, it also allows auto uploading of photos taken on your iPhone, Ipad and you access via. iCloud on your Windows PC too, where you will also automatically see pictures taken on your iOS devices.

Some Android devices and programs do the same of course, but I just seem to find them a bit of a fiddle to configure where with iOS it all just seems to happen with minimal intervention.

I think the one thing that does pee me off a bit is that there is no real alternative to ITunes - once you have started building up a decent collection of purchased music on there you are pretty well locked to it, though that of course works on a Windows PC too, will we ever see an Android version of iTunes I wonder??? somehow I seriously doubt it.

I think the one thing that does pee me off a bit is that there is no real alternative to ITunes - once you have started building up a decent collection of purchased music on there you are pretty well locked to it, though that of course works on a Windows PC too, will we ever see an Android version of iTunes I wonder??? somehow I seriously doubt it.

There's "loads", of iTunes alternatives.

Google Play Music

Amazon Music Cloud

too name the biggest, iTunes had the advantage and disadvantage of been first.

Not sure how you can be locked into iTunes, the iTunes music purchases has been DRM free for a while now.

Edited by Robbo

Robbo, on 17 Apr 2014 - 1:38 PM, said:

There's "loads", of iTunes alternatives.

Google Play Music

Amazon Music Cloud

too name the biggest, iTunes had the advantage and disadvantage of been first.

Not sure how you can be locked into iTunes, the iTunes music purchases has been DRM free for a while now.

Yes of course there are alternatives, but once you have bought in with an iPhone and an iPod and associated hardware that utilises Air Play to stream your music Apple pretty well much have you by the short and curly's with iTunes..

Yes of course there are alternatives, but once you have bought in with an iPhone and an iPod and associated hardware that utilises Air Play to stream your music Apple pretty well much have you by the short and curly's with iTunes..

Not really, many airplay devices support Bluetooth, and those other music "cloud" organising thingys have iphone/iPad apps. iTunes is still the best for iOS devices, but it certainly hasn't locked you into them.