Widebeams...

magnetman

Featured Posts

Bones.... Stop teasing

No, but I thought this was quite a serious subject, best to wear no socks at all I reckon.

Whatever, this was supposed to be about WIDE BEAM VESSELS, which I, in my own little world of incomprehensible unimportance, thought might be an interesting subject.

Can I weld two narrowboats together and make 1 wide boat, thats the thing.

PS don't worry about teasing, I can deal with that.

No, but I thought this was quite a serious subject, best to wear no socks at all I reckon.

Whatever, this was supposed to be about WIDE BEAM VESSELS, which I, in my own little world of incomprehensible unimportance, thought might be an interesting subject.

Can I weld two narrowboats together and make 1 wide boat, thats the thing. PS don't worry about teasing, I can deal with that.

Probably.... You can do whatever you wish my man, as per Mr T. Montana, the world is your oyster.... a NB catamaran....MMMMMmmm sounds interesting

Probably.... You can do whatever you wish my man, as per Mr T. Montana, the world is your oyster.... a NB catamaran....MMMMMmmm sounds interesting

you can probably get more socks on a widebeam. And potentially play croquet inside....

Ok, You can do whatever you wish my man but CAN I JOIN THIS CLUB? that is the question

If British waterways would keep a wide channel so I can fit breasted narrowboats or even a single narrowboat past a wide beam craft in, for example, Tring Cutting, then it'd be OK but they don't.

BW would insist that the GU is a narrow canal with wide locks. At least in its day it was. Wide beam boats seldom worked north of Brekhampstead, and the GUCCC's experimental attempt to run wide beam boats on the widened canal north of Calcutt was a failure.

We have wide beam working boats working through here ( grand union ) throughout the week, although they have a bad name (created by themselves) others and myself have no problem with them. They try to stay over as far as they can when needed, they even try to give way when they clearly have the right to go. As for the other PLEASURE boaters on there wide beams, well they fairly game until people start to give them undue slander.

Who are we to chose that we should all live on narrow boats. As long as we all realise that we are not the biggest thing out here and accept that, followed by giving them the respect that we all seek from each other, what is your problem.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to ban all widebeams from our canals but lets live for today, it is keeping us alive, and could be an excuse to keep red diesel. So lets start to think about the future as it is looking fairly crappy at the moment until we start to get a value on the canals we are on a hiding to hell.

There is in fact one. Its often seen on the Lee Navigation and on the odd occasion has travelled from there up the Regents as far as City Road basin. The two boats can be separated if neccessary, and each was dry docked in turn at Enfield during the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to ban all widebeams from our canals....

Ok, it's a deal - narrowboats can keep the stretches designed for narrowboats but are banned from the wide navigable canals & rivers. So I promise not to go North of Berko but I don't want to see any of you in my way on the Thames next summer!

Edited by blackrose

Been to bed & woke up again! Insomnia init... Back to BBC News 24...

Sky sports one has the test match 62 for one, that will help you sleep.

I know the problem as I find going to sleep difficult and I have completely turned around. Got some pills which take about an hour or so to work and sometimes I use them . Found out that they work in 20 seconds after a few pints!!!!

Sky sports one has the test match 62 for one, that will help you sleep.

I know the problem as I find going to sleep difficult and I have completely turned around. Got some pills which take about an hour or so to work and sometimes I use them . Found out that they work in 20 seconds after a few pints!!!!

Not sure that's a long term solution! I think we may have drifted :)

Ok, it's a deal - narrowboats can keep the stretches designed for narrowboats but are banned from the wide navigable canals & rivers. So I promise not to go North of Berko but I don't want to see any of you in my way on the Thames next summer!

Sorry, me again. Thames licenses charge by the AREA of the boat. No problem, everyone pays for what they use.

BW would insist that the GU is a narrow canal with wide locks. At least in its day it was. Wide beam boats seldom worked north of Brekhampstead, and the GUCCC's experimental attempt to run wide beam boats on the widened canal north of Calcutt was a failure.

One of the reasons it failed was that they quite deliberately chose to do the experiments when there was a partial stoppage for repair work at one of the bridges (may have been Buckby ?) that reduced the navigation width to 7 feet. Their conclusion was (unsurprisingly) that it took several days longer to get to Btaunston with a widebeam boat than it did with a pair of narrowboats.

Edited by Keeping Up

We have wide beam working boats working through here ( grand union ) throughout the week, although they have a bad name (created by themselves) others and myself have no problem with them. They try to stay over as far as they can when needed, they even try to give way when they clearly have the right to go. As for the other PLEASURE boaters on there wide beams, well they fairly game until people start to give them undue slander.

Who are we to chose that we should all live on narrow boats. As long as we all realise that we are not the biggest thing out here and accept that, followed by giving them the respect that we all seek from each other, what is your problem.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to ban all widebeams from our canals but lets live for today, it is keeping us alive, and could be an excuse to keep red diesel. So lets start to think about the future as it is looking fairly crappy at the moment until we start to get a value on the canals we are on a hiding to hell.

I think I may have been misunderstood on this.

I don't mind widebeam boats, lovely inside some of them, what a place to live!

What I am talking about is License fees. Its got nothing to do with banning anything it has to do with charging for useage of facilities, especially locks and the navigable channel.

I can see a situation where people like me, who live on a wide beam waterway in a narrowboat, would think 'sod this, I hardly ever go through the coffin locks anyway, the Grand Union is a lovely canal and 'wide' all the way to Birmingham.' Then there's the Thames, unbeatable for relaxing summer dawdling.

I may use 200 locks in a boat trip, all my own, all large locks lots of water but the thing is not that I can't go on narrow locks it is 'did I want to anyway?'.

I just think if everyone did decide to get wide beams, and it looks like a good option, on cost effectiveness grounds, then there would be a bit of a problem about being able to actually get anywhere.

This isn't a rant about wide boats (yes it is.)