Kings Cross London, landlubber/boater debate

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

Looks like another Waterside flat rant.

It'll all blow over when the realise that without the boats their waterside flat will soon be nowt but over looking a bog

By which time it'll be too late for the boaters who will have been forbidden to us yet another location, increasing the pressures elsewhere.

It'll all blow over when the realise that without the boats their waterside flat will soon be nowt but over looking a bog

Yup.

Lets buy a flat near a canal, lovely......oh hang on what is that outside the window?......bugger me it's a boat, what's that doing there....?

You would hope so. Unfortunately they won't realise that until it happens - then it'll be too late.

Have just read through this thread and my take on it is this. It would seem that some boats are burning fuel other than smokeless, we have some on our marina who issue forth some pretty noxious stuff, some of it very thick yellow stuff. I sympathise with any householder who has this stuff wafting around them and their homes.

All that has happened here is that someone or other has drawn attention to the moored boats and as is always the case the complainent has talked it up from one boat to all boats.

The question of noise I suspect is engine running, the solution is to have shore power laid on and I doubt that this will happen and electric propulsion never.

So a single case of someone burning crap fuel and getting bolshie has turned a minor matter into something else.

Phil

There is a problem in London with some boaters burning all sorts of crap and running engines late at night and early in the morning. My son works in Paddington Basin and he is a "live and let live" type of guy but even he has mentioned that on some days it can be very uncomfortable walking through the Basin to his office so I guess in residential areas people do get very upset.

IMO some parts of London are now out of control with some boaters just having no respect for people that live in the area. Yes it does go 2 ways with some residents just not prepared to accept boats.

Funny how no one mentions anything about safety in this article. King's Cross must be an area of London (apart from maybe Victoria Pk) with the highest rates of brake-ins into boats, muggings etc. Only last month I heard about 4 different incidents and loads of my boater friends encounter problems in the past but no one seem to care.

You are really obsessed

Hardly,

If I was going to obsess about anything, you certainly wouldn't feature in it.

I just thought it amusing that your buddy answered in a way that would have also suited a post I made in response to you.

I agree, but my point is that there is a big raw about smoke from the boats, but it seems that people being mugged on the towpath in the area is not a big deal.

Haven't there also been reports of boaters being threatened and intimidated by residents?

Perhaps some boaters are hitting back with their noise and smoke?

I could be wrong but I'm sure I have seen reference to it on here.

Haven't there also been reports of boaters being threatened and intimidated by residents?

Perhaps some boaters are hitting back with their noise and smoke?

I could be wrong but I'm sure I have seen reference to it on here.

Yes, I've seen some reports along these lines on London Boaters fb page some time ago. Could be the case.

To be fair you can't blame the residents can you. How would you feel if every time you opened your windows or patio doors you were confronted by generator noise and waves of think dense smoke.

Darren

Edited by ChimneyChain

I agree, but my point is that there is a big raw about smoke from the boats, but it seems that people being mugged on the towpath in the area is not a big deal.

People get mugged all over London, I spent the first 40 years of my life there and crime was one of the reasons I left.

Phil