aerial vs satelite dish.

tjderby

Featured Posts

It would be worth throwing it in a scrap metal bin and getting a proper, log periodic directional aerial.

If you can sniff out points of the compass accurate to within a fraction of a degree, then try out satellite TV if you want. We used to have the kit, but could never align the dish properly except one occasion where we got German Tennis, but that was it. So we threw that in the bin too.

Just wondered which is best. The boat I'm buying already has one of the funky looking aerials you see on a caravan on it. Would it be worth replacing it with a dish?

Our boat has one of them, it is about much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Get your self a proper aerial.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html

Others will disagree.... This is CWDF after all...

Cross post with Paul C

Edited by The Dog House

I think it depends on where you are going to be (ie strong signal area or not) and how much cruising you intend to do. If you are, and will remain, in a strong signal area then you might as well stick with an aerial. If you intend to move around a lot, the advantage of a dish is that you always know which way to point it and you will always get a good signal PROVIDED you have a clear view of the satellite, which is about 20 degrees above the horizon bearing 145 degrees -ish. You won't get a signal through buildings or trees.

Lots of people swear by an aerial, lots of other people including me think a dish is much better. The best answer is probably to have both and use which ever one is best for the particular circumstance. We use the dish 90% of the time and if we have to use the aerial, it is a hassle and often doesn't work due to being in a weak signal area etc.

As long as I can watch f1 at the weekends I'm happy lol.

Who has the viewing rights nowadays LOL,

That alone will determine what you need to go for LOL

We've got a normal house aerial and 99% of the time it works fine for us, and we move around a lot. If you're going to be in the same place all the time try it with the aerial and if that doesn't work out buy a dish would be my recommendation.

No point spending money if you don't have to :)

BBC air all f1 races but only about 9 of them of live. The rest are extended highlights.

Then either will do fine. Personally I would go with aerial ( a good one as I linked to )

Oh and good to see a fellow F1 fan on the forum! Interesting year this year isn't it - though I still can't get used to the new sound of the cars. I suppose I will in time but it just isn't the same.

Yeah definitely. Touch wood vettel gets a decent car soon lol. Or least a decent engine. Made good progress Sunday though.

Ah gotta differ with you there. Vettel & Red Bull have had a good run - I'd like to see Williams make a come back.

But then I do love the underdog :)

I'm a fan of Button & Hamilton as well - it was good to see Lewis on the podium again.

F1 ? If you like something involving that much speed and noise, are canals for you?

However I have no wish to drive you away.

Funny enough I know a lot of fellow boaters that are also into motor racing and biking.

Horses for courses - I don't slag off your passion and you don't attack mine. Deal?

Oh and after nearly 5 years living aboard and ccing I don't think anyone can question whether the canals are for me.

F1 ? If you like something involving that much speed and noise, are canals for you?

However I have no wish to drive you away.

Mooring on the eastern section of the T&M is not for you then then....you get a constant sound of bikes and cars screaming around Donnington in the distance...

Is love to live near donnington. Oh wait if I moor at sawley I will lol. And I think its important to have a variety of interest. Or you become a boring person.

We spent a while cruising in the Sawley area and moored for a while within earshot of the bikes and cars at Donnington. Sadly we never made it to an event there.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the type of TV makes a difference. we have a very basic old Omimax aerial with a booster and it was adequate most of the time but there was always an odd occasion when we wanted to watch the F1 and we were somwhere without a decent signal so we bought a dish. Shortly after that we also upgraded the TV and got an LED one.

What we had not realised was that LED TV's will work very well with a much lower signal strength and so we are very rarely anywhere we can't get tv.

Last week we flattened the Omnimax (again) trying to get through the bridge hole into Horne Basin to get a pump out. (The stern of the boat was much lower due to a full tank hence the flattened aerial) We moored at Windmill End that night and could not get any signal. We were unsure if that was because there was no signal or because we had mashed the aerial once too often. Dave spent about 45 mins fiddling with the dish to try and get a signal then gave up. We noticed that all the houses in view had massive TV aerials and no dishes to be seen anywhere. Before he closed the hatch he went out with some gaffer tape to try and reinforce the repair to the Omnimax and .. eureka.. we got BBC1.