Good news for Hull

Featured Posts

Looked at another site which had a map with the locations of all current, proposed and approved wind farms. Looks like there are a fair few approved and under construction sites within easy reach of the proposed turbine factories.

They make for good waypoints these wind farms as well biggrin.png

DSCF3297.jpg

DSCF3299-1.jpg

Edited to say that I wasn't talking about the design rating. I was talking about the real world numbers at that time.

It's the difference between the output figures that are published for turbines e.g. "enough power for [insert figure of your choice] homes" and the reality of what is actually achieved.

Divide one gigawatt (1,000,000 watts) by the number of turbines (5276). I make it the figure that I quoted.

2% of the total is pathetic given the massive investment involved.

It's not all renewable. They actually consume power when they are not turning.

For example, there's an oil heater in the gearbox, and there are lights, sensors and instruments, dehumidifiers for the nacelle all of which take power from the grid when the turbine is not generating.

Could I just point out that 1GW is a billion watts (109), not a million (106). You are out by a factor of 1000.

I do hope you haven't made the same error in the relative costs of wind turbines and conventional (or nuclear) power stations. Somehow I don't quite trust your arithmetic.

• Greenie 1

How much will it cost to feed all these Bradleys?

14 muesli brs 3.5 bannanas and 76 mars bars per watt,per Bradley,not including liquids.That is recycling for you!A new energy standard,no more btu's e.t.c. just Bradleys.

Could I just point out that 1GW is a billion watts (109), not a million (106). You are out by a factor of 1000.

I do hope you haven't made the same error in the relative costs of wind turbines and conventional (or nuclear) power stations. Somehow I don't quite trust your arithmetic.

Agreed that my megawatts got confused with my gigawatts. Thanks for pointing that out.

So at the time the correct figure was 189KW per turbine, which is still pathetic.

Agreed that my megawatts got confused with my gigawatts. Thanks for pointing that out.

So at the time the correct figure was 189KW per turbine, which is still pathetic.

A 1000 times more than you were leading people to believe?

Which is a huge factor by anybodies standards.

If as this morning they were generating 6% of the national grids requirements and another 3% never makes it to the grid thats a fair old chunk of the UK's electric requirements which is only going to increase as more wind farms are built and hooked up to the grid. We have to look at other ways of producing as we cant rely on coal, oil, gas and nuclear forever.

A 1000 times more than you were leading people to believe?

Which is a huge factor by anybodies standards.

If as this morning they were generating 6% of the national grids requirements and another 3% never makes it to the grid thats a fair old chunk of the UK's electric requirements which is only going to increase as more wind farms are built and hooked up to the grid. We have to look at other ways of producing as we cant rely on coal, oil, gas and nuclear forever.

If there is any energy source that can't be relied on it's wind power. You still need coal, gas, and nuclear for the times when the wind is not blowing.

...Which is where the OP started us off -- the Hull facility is mainly going to be producing offshore turbines (5 to 10 MW each). Good news indeed.

We also need to take energy conservation seriously, thus reducing the demand, but that's not in the interests of the big six energy companies.

Machpoint005, on 27 Mar 2014 - 1:54 PM, said:Machpoint005, on 27 Mar 2014 - 1:54 PM, said:

Time for some seriously large tidal barrages. Utterly reliable, twice a day.

Or more hydro power.

This is how the French do it on the River Sarthe in Northern France.

Each of the locks/weirs has a 'mini' hydroelectric power station along side it.

eYSOy4i.jpg

bNKGVTd.jpg

Not sure how much they generate but I could see something like that working quite well on some of our rivers, notably the Trent, Severn and the Thames.

(the river level had been lowered for maintenance when I took those pics)

Edited by The Dog House

Athy, on 27 Mar 2014 - 2:37 PM, said:

So much for the pastoral beauty of the French countryside!

Looks as if it means business though.

Yes they ain't pretty that is for sure - they have a bit of a 'Jules Verne' look about them to me.

I don't have any idea of the cost v benefit of them though so it may not be a viable solution.

Or more hydro power.

This is how the French do it on the River Sarthe in Northern France.

Each of the locks/weirs has a 'mini' hydroelectric power station along side it.

Not sure how much they generate but I could see something like that working quite well on some of our rivers, notably the Trent, Severn and the Thames.

(the river level had been lowered for maintenance when I took those pics)

The one river you did not mention The Avon they are being built as we speak and 7 are to be built on the Severn

Yes them windmills will look lovely all over the hull area. They have plans to splat them where ever they can i bet .construction.gif

Great for us that live in Kingston upon Hull nothelp.gif

And i bet not many people that come from Hull get jobs working for them

But great for the rest of the country clapping.gif

Graham

Yes them windmills will look lovely all over the hull area. They have plans to splat them where ever they can i bet .:construction:

Great for us that live in Kingston upon Hull not:help:

And i bet not many people that come from Hull get jobs working for them

But great for the rest of the country :clapping:

Graham

Off shore wind farms look OK, even on shore ones do too.

I don't understand your problem?

Care to expand?