Good news for Hull

Featured Posts

I agree. Where's the problem?

The UK already has many wind farms which cause little problem yet bring many benefits to local communities.

Wells next the Sea for example has benefited greatly from the construction of the Sherringham Wind Farm and will continue to do so due to continuing investment to keep the harbour open and fit for purpose for the wind farm vessels.

Hull should benefit further yet as the turbines will be constructed and shipped from the port as well as being maintained from there.

Why should Hull not benefit from this major investment?

They have spoiled some of our beautiful coastline ,google Albany wind farm There is talk of swell generated electricity wich would seem a great idea in this part of the world and they would be out of sight.

They have spoiled some of our beautiful coastline ,google Albany wind farm There is talk of swell generated electricity wich would seem a great idea in this part of the world and they would be out of sight.

That's a matter of personal opinion.

PaulG, on 02 Apr 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

But isn't the advantage of an offshore wind farm you don't get the noise issue bothering locals?

OK aesthetically they may not be to everybody's taste but personally I find them a little 'hypnotic' and can watch them for ages...

But isn't the advantage of an offshore wind farm you don't get the noise issue bothering locals?

OK aesthetically they may not be to everybody's taste but personally I find them a little 'hypnotic' and can watch them for ages...

My post was intended to be a bit "tongue in cheek". Of course it is a matter of opinion.

I've just got back from a weekend in Cornwall, and wind turbines there are the proverbial "blot on the landscape".

It would not be so bad if they actually worked, but we've got over 5000 of the damn things already and I've yet to see the total output from them at much more than 5% of the UK's energy requirement.

If they're offshore it just makes them even more expensive to construct and maintain.

PaulG, on 02 Apr 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

My post was intended to be a bit "tongue in cheek". Of course it is a matter of opinion.

I've just got back from a weekend in Cornwall, and wind turbines there are the proverbial "blot on the landscape".

It would not be so bad if they actually worked, but we've got over 5000 of the damn things already and I've yet to see the total output from them at much more than 5% of the UK's energy requirement.

If they're offshore it just makes them even more expensive to construct and maintain.

You wont like France then.....

PaulG, on 02 Apr 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

Yet there is hope...(note that it is all about the subsidy - i.e. your tax money)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/windpower/10737980/David-Cameron-could-make-manifesto-pledge-to-get-rid-of-wind-farms.html

<cynical mode on>

Surely that is nothing more than a 'sop' to voters in the rural Tory strongholds. All it will mean is what ever will have been produced by them will need to come from elsewhere, which just means probably more off shore ones on the North East Coast like Redcar where it won't bother the Tory Voters....

<cynical mode off>

If you read the national grid statistics page it also says that in top of the percentage shown (which I have seen as high as 6%) an extra 50% will be generated that doesn't make it to the grid but shows up as a drop in demand.

If you read the national grid statistics page it also says that in top of the percentage shown (which I have seen as high as 6%) an extra 50% will be generated that doesn't make it to the grid but shows up as a drop in demand.

Whilst carefully not mentioning the other "invisible" leccy that they draw from the grid when they're not turning...

The energy consumption when a turbine is idle is very small in comparison with its production when operating. The quoted figures for actual production take account of this.

However, coal fired power stations, gas fired generators and nuclear facilities also use energy when they are not in production, so I really don't see what your point has to do with anything.

The energy consumption when a turbine is idle is very small in comparison with its production when operating. The quoted figures for actual production take account of this.

However, coal fired power stations, gas fired generators and nuclear facilities also use energy when they are not in production, so I really don't see what your point has to do with anything.

You need enough capacity from "conventional" power stations to fulfill demand when there is no wind. Otherwise the lights would go out.

Supplying these conventional stations with power when they are idle further reduces the efficiency of wind power.

Off shore wind farms look OK, even on shore ones do too.

I don't understand your problem?

Care to expand?

Yes they do look good but when they are putting them up just down the road there not so nice with the blades making a noise

if you like them you can have the ones down the road from us before they put them up ninja.gifhug.gif

Yes they do look good but when they are putting them up just down the road there not so nice with the blades making a noise

if you like them you can have the ones down the road from us before they put them up ninja.gifhug.gif

They are planning to put some up just up the road from us. I don't see it as a problem.

jacko264, on 02 Apr 2014 - 5:21 PM, said:jacko264, on 02 Apr 2014 - 5:21 PM, said:

As I said earlier that surely is the advantage to off shore ones, any noise they make is not going to bother anybody. As to the aesthetics of them I have no problem and on that basis I would be quite happy for them to erect a wind farm close by.

I actually don't know how much noise these things generate BTW and as usual it is hard to actually locate any unbiased information as all the Anti's and NIMBY's produce figures that support their claims that they are a noise nuisance and the pro's claim they are not, or that they may be in a small number of cases but that it is resolvable.

eg-

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/dec/16/turbine-noise-windfarm

Or from Wiki (depending on how much you trust it)

In 2011, the British Acoustics Bulletin published the 10th independent review of the evidence on wind farms causing annoyance and ill health in people. And for the 10th time it has emphasised that "annoyance has far more to do with social and psychological factors in those complaining than any direct effect from sound or inaudible infrasound emanating from wind turbines".[96] Two factors repeatedly came up. "The first is being able to see wind turbines, which increases annoyance particularly in those who dislike or fear them. The second factor is whether people derive income from hosting turbines, which miraculously appears to be a highly effective antidote to feelings of annoyance and symptoms".[96]

Edited by The Dog House

Think yourself lucky.

When the Hillmorton masts were demolished they proposed a wind farm in their place but the locals soon put paid to that idea.

One of the advantages of a wind farm is that there isn't much you can do with the land beneath except grow meadows for sheep and cows to munch on whilst encouraging wildlife...

...unlike the 6200 houses and 31 Hectares of distribution sheds that are going to be built on the Mast site instead, now that the nimbys have done their bit.

carlt, on 03 Apr 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Think yourself lucky.

When the Hillmorton masts were demolished they proposed a wind farm in their place but the locals soon put paid to that idea.

One of the advantages of a wind farm is that there isn't much you can do with the land beneath except grow meadows for sheep and cows to munch on whilst encouraging wildlife...

...unlike the 6200 houses and 31 Hectares of distribution sheds that are going to be built on the Mast site instead, now that the nimbys have done their bit.

This is of course one of the reasons farmers like them so much because they not only get paid for having them erected on their land but the same land can be used for exactly what it was used for prior to the turbines being there....win win for them and good luck to 'em I say...

Of course the opportunities for them to do this will diminish considerably if the subsidies to build are indeed cut.