Middle level navigations to Upwell

Captain Navaar

Featured Posts

Now then...I'm looking to take my 60ft narrowboat to upwell.

I'm currently on the g.u.c and am interested in what is gonna lay in front of me if decide to take it to the Welle creek.

I'd be looking to do it in one go and have done this recently from hungerford kennet and Avon to here, 4 days 105 miles and 85 locks!...albeit some of it on the high speed Thames with manned locks!!

Anyways I'm also looking for a decent mooring for it in upwell possibly... I lived there as a youngster and still know a few people with places that back onto the creek....

I saw a chap on on here was reporting being there and wondered ...where!

Is it easy to find liveaboard moorings in and around area?

Can I even get my 60fter onto the Welle creek?

What's the journey going to be like in a couple of months?

Cheers

Depends on the rain! If the Nene is not in flood, it is very pleasant.. Do a google search for the "Retirement with No Problem" blog, which has excellent details about the Nene.

As for the Middle levels, yes a 60ft boat is fine. Well Creek is very shallow - my 70ft 2 ft 6 draft boat found it slow going, but was fine. Couple of very low bridges. You will need to phone Stanground Lock a day or two ahead to let them know you are coming through.

As for moorings in Upwell, there is a visitor mooring, but otherwise not a lot!! Moorings around March (Floods Ferry, Foxs, and tank-bloke). EA moorings on the Releif channel at Downham Market. Lots of moorings the other side of Denver Sluice - but due to the Fish and Duck thing a year or so ago, could be tricky finding a resi one available.

Also marina in Ramsey..

Have fun - its a lovely journey. Some of the lock landings are tiny and in impossible to manoeuvre places on the Nene. Middle Levels locks use a different windlass (Fox Narrowboats sell em). The Middle Levels windlass works on the Nene Locks, but not the other way round.

Ok cool thanks..

Don't suppose you noticed if there are many farmery types that rent a spot low key like? As there seems to be odd ones dotted on g.u.c, Thames and Oxford ... I take it this is the same throughout?

If I did decide to move in blocks and marina bounce, I gather they get cheaper the further away you get from London?

Hi Cap'n, Resi moorings available at our marina, Riverside Island at Isleham on the Lark, water, power,rubbish and Elsan plus a proper address. cost? £480 a quarter, not too far from Denver. We've been here nearly 4 years and love it.

Oh and welcome aboard.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We are thinking of buying a nb and mooring it on the Great Ouse navigations but so far the moorings look to be as expensive as on the cut. Any pointers? We won't be residential.

Wilderness moorings available from the EA cost last I heard circa £1000 pa.

Phil

Very local - it's about 600 yards along the road on which we live! Over the last few years a couple of different boats, including a widebeam, have moored there, but it has been vacant so far this year. I may know of another vacant mooring a few minutes away,right opposite the fish & chip shop but it's not yet clear if the boater who left there a few weeks ago will be coming back.

Good trip, yes thanks, though not waterways-related (we went to the Costa del Sol).

Thanks All,

Phil, is there anyone at Isleham I can contact? And re EA wild moorings is there a contact/information point?

Thanks again

Colin[/quote/

Hi Colin, Ill PM you some details later when my lappy is fired up, on my BB at the month.

We are looking at two boats a David Piper 1976 that was last surveyed in 2013 and had all work done followed by hull being shot blasted back to metal and then coated with 2 pack rather than plain bituman. Topsides have also been repainted. The boat of course is miles away from where we want it!

The second is a Peter Nicholls hull of 1978 vintage. She was last surveyed in 2006 and all remedial work was completed. Since then the boat has been meticulously maintained by a yard on the Ouse that I do know. The proprietor says the boat is in good condition and a further survey would be a waste of good money. He is a genuine guy and as this is a private sale he will not get commission. We will also keep the boat there should we buy it so it is not in his interest to misrepresent.

Two questions arise. The boats are about the same vintage so is there much to choose between the two builders. They are/were both well known on the cut and I believe they were at the higher end of quality. Now to surveys and insurance. What is the norm in terms of the timing of surveys on a narrowboat. I have heard every 10 years mentioned and also every 20 so is there a reliable rule of thumb? Maybe there is not for I have also heard that some insurers don't ask for a survey.