told-stools

Amicus

Featured Posts

Ken is a fun-gi man and we often go hunting. It is a case of 'the more you know, the less you know'. I was pretty confident that I knew edibles but now I’m not so sure.

We have amassed a few books on the subject and I recommend Roger Phillips Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain & Europe. It’s all photographs, which IMO gives much better identification that 'artistic interpretation'. (Phillip’s graphic description of the hallucinogenic properties of Fly Agaric – the red with white spots jobby – is, er, as though he had tried it. Unfortunately the book is A4 format but I would suggest that you collect first – we use a little basket to lay them out in – and bring them home to identify at your leisure.

I found a beautiful specimen, brought it home, checked and ate it. Afterwards I turned the page of the book only to find that there was a similar but deadly version. That night I went to bed with the book, the page open by my bed just in case I died in the night.

I met a lady collecting fungi at the Westonbirt Arboretum recently. She was going to make a presentation to an interested group.

When asked about edible fungi her response was immediate: 'if you are not an expert, don't go there'.

when I was at Uni the first time around I was chairman of the wildlife society and decided to have an outing in to the peaks. The uni had an excellent mycologist who was totally nuts and a pleasure to listen to so I invited him along to lead a fungal foray. I was totally blown over by its popularity and it wasn't until half way around I realised one of the fields I had chosen was the home to a fine crop of Psilocybe tampanensis. No wonder so many people came!

When I was 19 I stupidly ate a whole Fly Agaric. Please don't anyone do anything so foolish - there is a risk it will make you very ill or cause renal failure! Luckily my experience wasn't that bad.

If you are picking shrooms to eat, go with someone knowledgable. However, easily recognised ones are Ceps (look like penny buns, pores instead of gills under the cap), Shaggy Ink Caps (unmistakable - get em before they got 'inky'), Field Mushrooms (look and smell like the ones in Tescos), Morels (look like little brains), and Blueits (they're blue!)

Leave the small whitish ones with curly stems and a 'nipple' on top to Bones and Tomsk!

Edited by Breals

Apparently in France you can take them in to the local Chemist who will identify them for you (I think I saw that on Rick Stein).

(almost back now btw, just getting a fuel leak fixed at Kings Lock).

Matt.

We have the above book, and my parents/brother do occatinaly pick and cook wild mushrooms, so far to no ill affect.

- Although personaly, i usally dont take part in the event. However, the times i have, they have tasted dam good, much better than shopbought tat.

Daniel

when I was at Uni the first time around I was chairman of the wildlife society and decided to have an outing in to the peaks. The uni had an excellent mycologist who was totally nuts and a pleasure to listen to so I invited him along to lead a fungal foray. I was totally blown over by its popularity and it wasn't until half way around I realised one of the fields I had chosen was the home to a fine crop of Psilocybe tampanensis. No wonder so many people came!

er .............................. yuss .............................. :P:P

Clive (as opposed to me who has more sense!) is very fond of fungi (there's a joke in there somewhere) and very knowledgeable on such matters.

As I am a sceptic, I ALWAYS keep a little of each type of mushroom he eats in the fridge - just in case!

He says, as a general rule, if you cut the stem and its blue or yellow, avoid it. If it looks and smells like the ones in Tesco its probably OK

I would still keep some in the fridge!

Clive (as opposed to me who has more sense!) is very fond of fungi (there's a joke in there somewhere) and very knowledgeable on such matters.

As I am a sceptic, I ALWAYS keep a little of each type of mushroom he eats in the fridge - just in case!

He says, as a general rule, if you cut the stem and its blue or yellow, avoid it. If it looks and smells like the ones in Tesco its probably OK

I would still keep some in the fridge!

Was not Fungi a dolphin who lived in Dingle Bay? So you keep a bit of dolphin in your fridge! :P

• 1 month later...
We seem to have some knowledgeable cooks on ‘ere, so, I’m after a book identifying fungi and their culinary uses, any recommendations. Pocket sized if possible.

The Easy Edible Mushroom Guide by David Pegler

It's easy to read with good photos and tells you how tasty they are - along with advice about similar looking but poisonous fungi

It's A5 size so it would fit in a big pocket

fresh puffballs sliced and cooked simply in butter are fabulous

May I recommend "The Ultimate Mushroom Book" by Peter Jordan and Steven Wheeler. Was about £17 when I bought it several years ago, so you'd probably need a small mortgage now! Excellent photographic reference guide. We are fortunate in that our orchard and paddock usually have a small crop of Horse Mushrooms and those nice brown Field Mushrooms. We also get quite a lot of Blue Stalks, ( aka Blue Leg and Field Blewit ) but how anyone can eat the slimy things is beyond belief! Anyone got a decent recipe to render them edible?

Dick

( I'm told they are very popular in the Midlands! )