Video about CCers

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Yes - strange terminology to use - a tad patronising I thought....

Perhaps but I think it is just a way of speaking and trying to be "light" in stating what is acceptable. ie what she means is "CCing is good as long as you obey the rules"

I don't think she needs to be apologetic about stating that.

Maybe not "above" but CC'ers do quite often contribute more to the boating fraternity than they get credit for. Fact of life I'm afraid, after all, they do spend more time on the system.

The same can just as truthfully be said for leisure boaters, that's the point, some CCers will some won't. The same can be said for leisure boaters some will be contributing a huge amount some will not be. Many leisure boaters cover more miles of system than CCers some don't.

So my point is that it is what a boater does to contribute that matters not that they belong to a specific faction that is inherently better or contributes more.

Perhaps but I think it is just a way of speaking and trying to be "light" in stating what is acceptable. ie what she means is "CCing is good as long as you obey the rules"

I may be nit picking but I felt she was speaking to CCer's as if they were children and it's fine 'as long as you behave yourselves'. it's OK being 'light' about a subject but when the consequences of being caught not complying can be very serious I find it difficult to think she should not just have used the terminology you just did.(though I personally prefer the word 'requirements' rather than rules).

I may be nit picking but I felt she was speaking to CCer's as if they were children and it's fine 'as long as you behave yourselves'. it's OK being 'light' about a subject but when the consequences of being caught not complying can be very serious I find it difficult to think she should not just have used the terminology you just did.(though I personally prefer the word 'requirements' rather than rules).

I agree it is a bit school Ma'm ish but I think that is what she is like and it is a natural speech style for her and I took it in a friendly way rather than being patronising. So I don't think anything can be read into her choice of words.

It was an OK video although it didn't seem to have a particular point but enjoyable enough.

The same can just as truthfully be said for leisure boaters, that's the point, some CCers will some won't. The same can be said for leisure boaters some will be contributing a huge amount some will not be. Many leisure boaters cover more miles of system than CCers some don't.

So my point is that it is what a boater does to contribute that matters not that they belong to a specific faction that is inherently better or contributes more.

Nice thought :-)

As a person who has always had a marina mooring I applaud the CCers I think that they are a wonderful group.

However the CMers are most probably also wonderful people but the ones mooring in prime locations and taking over towpaths with their bits have given a reason for all decent minded boaters and passers by to tar them all with the same brush .

Debatable :-) simply because CC'ers spend overall, much more time on the system. Therefore giving regular and reliable input.

debatable. CCer may spend more time on the system but many leisure boaters will be covering more miles in a year and also be working to help maintain/operate the system as indeed can Ccers. So again my point is it doesn't matter what perceived faction you are from it is what you contribute that matters.

debatable. CCer may spend more time on the system but many leisure boaters will be covering more miles in a year and also be working to help maintain/operate the system as indeed can Ccers. So again my point is it doesn't matter what perceived faction you are from it is what you contribute that matters.

But not all year round :-)

But not all year round :-)

Who says??

We have had a bad winter for boating this year for various reasons but we normally boat all year, irrespective of the time of the year.

Not all leisure boaters take to their moorings all winter the same as not all CCer's cruise all year - some opt to take up a mooring during the winter don't they?

That is just displaying the same type of prejudice against leisure boaters that some say CCers are subject to.

Edited by The Dog House

I don't see 6000 leisure boaters on the system during the winter months.

where did anybody claim that there was? - and how do you actually know how many it is because I would be surprised if the number of leisure boaters who do boat in the winter was not close to that, there are a good few on here for a start.

The point is (which you seem unable to grasp) - is that you cannot apply a comment to a cohort of boaters when there are boaters within that group who the the comment does not apply to.

As I said it's like saying -

'All CCers take the mickey because we know they don't move enough'

Edited by The Dog House

where did anybody claim that there was? - and how do you actually know how many it is because I would be surprised if the number of leisure boaters who do boat in the winter was not close to that, there are a good few on here for a start.

The point is (which you seem unable to grasp) - is that you cannot apply a comment to a cohort of boaters when there are boaters within that group who the the comment does not apply to.

As I said it's like saying -

'All CCers take the mickey because we know they don't move enough'

I think you missed part of a post, probably in your hurry to do one of your quarterly outings ;-)

I'm merely making a point that CC'ers can in fact give more than leisure boaters, by sheer numbers and being on the canal 12 months of the year. The fact is, 6000 leisure boaters do not come out in the winter. Prove me wrong.....

Edited by jenlyn

I think you missed part of a post, probably in your hurry to do one of your quarterly outings ;-)

I missed nothing jenlyn.

I wasn't aware you had tagged my boat BTW, as I said we haven't boated much THIS WINTER, which leaves plenty of scope prior to the last three months in case you are unable to work it out.

I am not going into why we haven't boated for the last couple of months but some folk on here will be able to work it out, in fact I referred to it in a previous thread.

I'm merely making a point that CC'ers can in fact give more than leisure boaters, by sheer numbers and being on the canal 12 months of the year. The fact is, 6000 leisure boaters do not come out in the winter. Prove me wrong.....

You added a bit - why do I have to prove anything?

- you prove me wrong? - what is the figure? I dont know and neither do you.

My issue is your sweeping generalisations, something CCers so often (justifiably) complain about.

I can give another example if you really want me to. Coal boats :-)

All extra income, mainly from CCer's, again. All extra money for CRT coffers.

Then of course, winter moorings, again, extra cash for CRT.

The list could go on :-)

However, I was asked to explain why I thought CCer's could bring more to the system. I've done that with no prejudice intended. Just stating facts.

However, I was asked to explain why I thought CCer's could bring more to the system. I've done that with no prejudice intended. Just stating facts.

So my CRT mooring is free then? - the one I pay for all year around?

Ok,genuine question

Until recently,I considerd myself rightly or wrongly a CCr albeit more Tidal environments than inland. So what is the generally agreed distance (not necessarily time) that would be acceptable to move to meet the requirements of being a CCr on the inland waterways.EG 1 boat length, 1 bridge, 1 mile,a Parish ect ect. Or is there any such measurement !.

Because I do see this,,,Debate,,, being raised a lot, and am trying to understand some of the problems a bit better.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Not facts really. Leisure boaters also buy from coal boats. As TDH says many ccers stay put in the winter by buying a winter mooring.

Marina moorers will be contributing to CRT above their licence since (in most cases) part of the mooring fee will cover the marinas NAA charge. Those that have online moorings will be contributing to CRT, EOG moorings will be contributing to CRT and so on.

Spouting off about how one section of boaters are contribute more by this that and the other is futile and divisive.

Edited by churchward

Here on G&S there are no coal boats and only 2 places to get diesel one in a marina and one stand alone in Frampton when I was buying diesel this week in Frampton the owner said if it was not for CCers in the winter he would stop doing canal diesel completely I know just a small example.

Hahaha, thanks for the mornings entertainment :-D

Another added bit.

I am happy to oblige - not least when it exposes your prejudices and a lack of ability to actually construct a valid argument to support a point.

I don't know, is it?

Hahaha, thanks for the mornings entertainment :-D

Oh dear, loosing the argument are we?

or if you mean that then it is not very clever for an organisations representative to admit to trolling on the forum is it.

Here on G&S there are no coal boats and only 2 places to get diesel one in a marina and one stand alone in Frampton when I was buying diesel this week in Frampton the owner said if it was not for CCers in the winter he would stop doing canal diesel completely I know just a small example.

I am sure that in some places that is true however it is not a reasonable argument to extrapolate that into CCers contribute more to the system than others.

I could just as truthfully say that the Marina owner where I moor would go out of business if it wasn't for the leisure boater but I am sure I would soon get flamed for claiming that this means leisure boaters are more important.