Another begging email from CaRT

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I am with Alan on this.

CaRT also really need to address the apparent lack of official influence/control/whatever ordinary boaters have on their procedures. Until CaRT find a way of surcharging ALL users in the way they do boaters and anglers then there will be many who react badly to their constant begging. We have been through all this many times before and all views have been aired so there is not much point in discussing it all again apart from pointing out why boaters and presumably anglers may well hold the views Alan has so eloquently explained.

Anyway Dave said "money no object" AND it seems he is compensating businesses to some degree so perhaps Cart should direct their begging bowl in that direction AND keep boaters and anglers well informed about the result - not that we can not guess what it will be.

Indeed.

If one considers the number of flights that have a lock keeper's cottage next to it they were obviously once deemed an essential resource that had disappeared and is now making a comeback, albeit on a voluntary basis.

If they were considered important enough to employ and house them, in days when the boats were manned by professional, experienced boaters, surely they are even more necessary when there are greater numbers of amateur, inexperienced leisure boaters.

That presuposes that giving somebody the same job title as back then means that they perform the same role.

Perhaps, in the same spirit, I can expect volunteer liftmen in the office in the morning

No need for all the angst...

I have a solution...

Question: After email spamming everyone, is Vince Moran a waterway asset or a liability?

Answers: please on the back of a £25 cheque addressed to the Canal and River Trust.

I think as far as the trade is concerned he is a liability.

From APCO -

At this time—when the public have already booked or are considering booking waterway holidays—the boat industry is concerned that the tone of the CaRT press release and appeal could have an adverse effect on this.

The vast majority of CaRT's canal network is unaffected, and apart from engineering stoppages, is operating as normal. Boats are moving freely across much of the system.

That presuposes that giving somebody the same job title as back then means that they perform the same role.

Perhaps, in the same spirit, I can expect volunteer liftmen in the office in the morning

Why shouldn't they perform the same role?

As to the "volunteer liftmen" can I assume that your morning lift is one of the old, non-automated types owned and operated by a lift management charity?

Why shouldn't they perform the same role?

As to the "volunteer liftmen" can I assume that your morning lift is one of the old, non-automated types owned and operated by a lift management charity?

It is an old manual twin door lift that would at one time have been operated by a liftman.

It has been retrofitted to enable user operation. It is not operated by a charity, but is operated by an organisation that makes extensive use of volunteers in parts of its operation.