Isuzu Instrument Panel

swmenzies

Featured Posts

This is my first post so I would like to take this opportunity to say hello and say thanks as this is a very informative forum.

As spring is around the corner I am starting to tackle some of the outstanding jobs that I have been putting off since we bought the boat.

One of these jobs is dealing with the engine instrument panel.

This is how it should look:

instrument_panel_not_mine.jpg

Our panel however looks like this:
Instrument_Panel_mine.jpg

As you can see it needs 'some' work after years of being weathered. I have acquired a new VDO rev/tach lens and found a source for 52mm VDO replacement lenses. I'm fairly confident I can change those with a little research and patience. What I am a little unsure of is if I can get my hands replacement indicators/stop switch or the covers for them. I've looked on numerous on-line chandlers but have not had any luck, maybe it's my search terms?

Can anyone offer me any advise on replacement parts?

Once I've got the gauges, buttons, indicators and ignition finished the next task is to build myself a cover, not completely sure how I'm going to do that but that is entirely another job.

Thanks,

Scott Menzies

Also worth having a go at the plastic background with Greygates plastic polish. This might also improve the smaller gauge lenses.

Perspex (methyl methacrylate) sheet or Lexan (polycarbonate) sheet are the materials of choice for a see-through cover. Your local sign works may have offcuts. If not try the model engineers suppliers. Perspex can glued together with di-ethyl ether or Slaters Mekpak or methyl ethyl ketone. Just dip a small paintbrush tip in the glue and then run it along the joint.

Polycarbonate is hard to glue but can be drilled and tapped carefully, as can Perspex.

Lexan is tougher but goes yellow in sunlight, eventually

Maybe the easiest solution would be a wooden cover frame with a clear panel screwed to it.

Your local vinyl sign boys should be able to do the logos and labels on vinyl if you take in B/W scans or good pictures of what you need.

N

Some gauge lenses can be restore using brasso to polish the marks out. Takes a while but can produce good results.

I'd look at somewhere look Farnell for the warning lights. You won't find the same one however you'll probably find something that fills the hole.

Perhaps some lights like these would work?

http://www.autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/products/Dashboard_Indicator_Warning_Lights/Durite_12_or_24V_Red_LED_060735.html?gclid=CPbgt5mVybwCFSTMtAodDWwAhQ

or these have symbols on them as well..

http://www.autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/products/Dashboard_Indicator_Warning_Lights/Durite_Red_Oil_Symbol_060953.html

Might need some waterproof ones though !

The stop button broke on my panel, so I replaced with a horn push button which filled the gap in the panel okay.

Something like this...

http://www.autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/products/Switches_/Push_Button_Switches/Splash_Proof__Momentarily_Switch__048550.html

I've also got an Isuzu panel - does your hour counter still work?

Also worth having a go at the plastic background with Greygates plastic polish. This might also improve the smaller gauge lenses.

Some gauge lenses can be restore using brasso to polish the marks out. Takes a while but can produce good results.

I'd look at somewhere look Farnell for the warning lights. You won't find the same one however you'll probably find something that fills the hole.

I'll give the cleaning products a go but I don't see much improvement for them as I can't see through them in daylight.

he stop button broke on my panel, so I replaced with a horn push button which filled the gap in the panel okay.

Something like this...

http://www.autoelect...ch__048550.html

Is the kill switch a push to open or push to break?

I've also got an Isuzu panel - does your hour counter still work?

During the summer heat it flashed up occasionally but not really sure if it was a count or just gibberish. I've read a few times the VDO counters die after about 500 hours.

I'm quite lucky as I have access to a CNC mill, laser cutter for sheet plastics and a vinyl cutter which I can use to reproduce the decals.

These on-line shop are quite good:

http://asap-supplies.com

http://www.brianwards.co.uk

Can you recommend any others?

Thanks for you help guys

Edited by swmenzies

The complete Isuzu panels can still be purchased - although they are made to order, because of this they're around £495 + vat. The glow & battery lamps are £17.50 each + vat and the stop button £22.00 +vat. All plus carriage. Sometimes the Tacho's fail due to condensation issues - these can also be purchased separately but are supplied with a conversion ring as they no longer offer the same Tacho as on the original panel.

Hope this is help

Justin.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would just post the almost final results and my process to get there.

I sanded down the metal panel, a couple coats of grey primer, then sprayed with a simple matt black.

The lenses were not as bad as I thought, they were two layered lenses, it was only the top lens that was cloudy. I used Brasso to clean them, which worked wonderfully, within a few minutes they were clear.

I bought new warning light holders (Schlegel Pilot Light Rontron-R Jewel / TA RRJL4 ) and a new push button (Pushbutton Rontron-R/Q-Juwel / TA RRJTLR) made the symbols myself.

I had some sticky residue from removing the underside rubber seal but that came off with a little rub.

The next job so to get the stern and the intrstrument column painted.

DSC_0041.JPG

Thanks for your help.

• 1 year later...

The complete Isuzu panels can still be purchased - although they are made to order, because of this they're around £495 + vat. The glow & battery lamps are £17.50 each + vat and the stop button £22.00 +vat. All plus carriage. Sometimes the Tacho's fail due to condensation issues - these can also be purchased separately but are supplied with a conversion ring as they no longer offer the same Tacho as on the original panel.

Hope this is help

Justin.

Hi Justin

Just seen this , where can you these parts as I need some for my control panel ?

Cheers Derek

• 5 years later...

Hi justin

re doing my instrument panel for an isuzu marine panel it has two battery light and the heater next to the start stop switch I need the two battery lights replacing and if it's not to expensive replace the panel also how do you get the bulb holder out they unscrew but are not strong enough to unscrew fully 

Which is the company that you are referring to replacing the battery lamps 

m.kay1234@outlook.com 

26 minutes ago, Marcuskay1970 said:

Hi justin

re doing my instrument panel for an isuzu marine panel it has two battery light and the heater next to the start stop switch I need the two battery lights replacing and if it's not to expensive replace the panel also how do you get the bulb holder out they unscrew but are not strong enough to unscrew fully 

Which is the company that you are referring to replacing the battery lamps 

m.kay1234@outlook.com 

I would suggest that you would be better looking for near match new lamps. If you can't unscrew the old ones  bet the bodies have swollen so are likely to break. Start looking at Vehicle Wiring product but for charge lamps ensure they are NOT LEDs and have at least a 2 watt bulb.

You might have to file the panel a bit to fit a larger bodied lamp. Normally the cost of new lamps is only a few pounds.