Lost my smilies

Featured Posts

I seem to have lost the use of the tool bar when posting. It is there but not live. Any ideas?

If you can still see the toolbar but it's greyed out, you must have operated the "light switch" icon which is the top row left-most icon. This toggles between the code view and the wysiwyg view. If you click that icon again, the smilies etc will be restored.

Edited by nicknorman

Any new ideas why I can't get smilies on an iPad?

I'm sure I've been misunderstood in the past as I can't post them!

Martyn

I can't get smilies on the iPad either - or rather, I can't get the toolbar to appear. I think it's just that the iPad doesn't support whatever code is used to generate the toolbar. But you can still enter the code direct - there is a code for each smilie.

For example (and I'm currently on the iPad so I'm not cheating!) I am entering the code for a grinning type smilie and here is the result: :D and I think I should get a round applause for that :clapping: so it can be done on an iPad if you know the codes.

But personally I don't generally bother with smilies. It's funny how Will Shakespeare managed to write with wit, irony and sarcasm without needing smilies. Some folk just want to take the worst possible interpretation of what you write - why not let them, they enjoy being insulted and irate, it makes their day!

I can't get smilies on the iPad either - or rather, I can't get the toolbar to appear. I think it's just that the iPad doesn't support whatever code is used to generate the toolbar. But you can still enter the code direct - there is a code for each smilie.

For example (and I'm currently on the iPad so I'm not cheating!) I am entering the code for a grinning type smilie and here is the result: biggrin.png and I think I should get a round applause for that clapping.gif so it can be done on an iPad if you know the codes.

There is the same issue on the standard browser on an Android tablet too. Though a couple of third party Android browsers support the code to display the formatting tool bar (including smiley's)

For anybody interested the full list of what you need to type to manually enter the correct character string for each smiley it's here-

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=3c8ac5c3bc99f37fd2cdf377adbc4d9d&&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends

ed as I have no idea how I managed to quote Nick twice

Edited by The Dog House

If you can still see the toolbar but it's greyed out, you must have operated the "light switch" icon which is the top row left-most icon. This toggles between the code view and the wysiwyg view. If you click that icon again, the smilies etc will be restored.

Has the light switch been a recent addition by any chance? A little while ago I also discovered that the smilies had disappeared and after a bit of experimentation found the light switch and switched it back on (I hadn't switched it off previously to my knowledge). I don't remember it being there before but I could be mistaken. Just curious.

Roger

Yes IIRC it appeared when the forum software was updated a year or so ago. It is useful to be able to have the two views, though I generally prefer the code view because you can see exactly what's going on, and it is the fix when you can't add text below quoted text without it appearing as part of the quote.

If you mean very recently, <Guessing alert> its on or off status may be "remembered" by a cookie, so if you delete all cookies maybe it defaults to off?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

Yes IIRC it appeared when the forum software was updated a year or so ago. It is useful to be able to have the two views, though I generally prefer the code view because you can see exactly what's going on, and it is the fix when you can't add text below quoted text without it appearing as part of the quote.

Thanks for that info Nick, that often happens to me on my tablet.

If you mean very recently, <Guessing alert> its on or off status may be "remembered" by a cookie, so if you delete all cookies maybe it defaults to off?

That is quite a possibility Nick as I may well have done a CCleaner tidy up which deleted certain cookies (those not set to 'leave alone' in the settings) shortly before. Like all that sort of stuff though you do it so automatically that you don't always associate a new problem elsewhere with something that you yourself may have done recently.

Roger

Nor on this Android Hudl.

Don't you have a menu button top right of your browser window?

That's the thing, there is no toolbar - on the iPad at any rate.

Is that because the iPad doesn't have Flash?

Edited by Beaker

My smilies come and go on a whim of their own, always use lap top yet somclapping.gif etimes they just arnt there. ooh see they are here today, good.cheers.gif

Could it be that you have collapsed the toolbar (or that the laptop has collapsed it for you)? On the right hand end of the grey border box that appears when you reply (or quote) is a small arrow button. If it points upwards then you will see the toolbar. If it points sideways (towards the left) then the toolbar is hidden. Just a thought about a possible cause.

Roger

Edited by Albion

But personally I don't generally bother with smilies. It's funny how Will Shakespeare managed to write with wit, irony and sarcasm without needing smilies.

Whilst agreeing about smilies in general I think Shakespeare is a bad example.

As a playwright he may not have used smilies but he was able to describe the setting, instruct actors in how they should behave and the mood they should exhibit in the form of stage directions and scene setting outside the dialogue.