Why I like living Afloat

pelicanafloat

Featured Posts

The luck was with us today. I tend to be the one steering and most times when a kingfisher arrives I scream down the hatchway and sadly Jenny always just in time to miss it! But this time, it flew past on two occasions, I called out, and then to our amazement it sat perched on this branch to the side of the canal and we crept our way in and out of the boat grabbing cameras and just knowing the bugger will fly away just as you are ready only this time it didn't.... I took nineteen photos with a camera that seemed to be taking an age between each shot. I really wanted a multi-shot setting but in truth I haven't got to that section of the manual just yet, I know it exists, I just don't know how to set it up (but I promise the setting is about to be memorised and practiced!). So I rushed the shots and quite a few were out of focus. Jenny meanwhile was quietly taking shots with her camera.

The boat got stuck in the mud, both ends, and kingfisher flew off and waited for us to become unstuck and we met up again about 150m further along.

I'll add this photo - Jenny's photo which I regard as inferior ..... wink.png

IzIMdJD.jpg

Great pictures, well done the colours are fantastic. I have been trying since 2010 to get a nice photo, but have failed. On the one occasion where I had a good opportunity I got so excited I kept pressing the wrong button. What a plonker !

Thanks for sharing them.

Stunning photos and well work getting stuck in the mud for.

I never have my camera handy whenever the opportunity arises. A few weeks ago when I was sitting in the cratch having a smoke, a kingfisher perched on our headlamp less than an arms length away. It was there for over a minute and I sat there in awe admiring it, not daring to move a muscle.

The best opportunity I had when on the move was on the Upper Avon when one was perched on a rope across a weir, and where was my camera? At the other end of the boat of course!

Great pictures, well done the colours are fantastic. I have been trying since 2010 to get a nice photo, but have failed. On the one occasion where I had a good opportunity I got so excited I kept pressing the wrong button. What a plonker !

Thanks for sharing them.

Just wanted to say, I know exactly what you mean! :) After taking the pictures, I put the camera back inside the boat, out of harms way, and arms way, and spent the remaining cruising time wondering what setting the camera was on? I just hoped it was on something suitable, but knowing me, it might well have been on some quite unsuitable scene setting and I just had to assume the paranoia was just negative thinking. I just couldn't remember checking on the setting, I was too worried the bird was going to take flight.....

Oh I'm so happy to see your pics of the Kingfisher, I have never managed to see one in the wild as yet..there seems to be woodpeckers where I'm moored you can here them..think they are the little black n' white ones...

I think the little black n white ones at called the lesser spotted woodpecker,& it's bigger brothers are the greater spotted woodpecker..ish.

I think if you look closely,there is a bit of red in there somewhere as well.sometimes you see more in a pic.

It might pay you to have a camera handy, I always am clicking away when out n about.

Great pic of the kingfisher ,, pelican, beautiful.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

• 2 weeks later...