What's a Wig Wag?

dor

Featured Posts

An electrical circuit or logic circuit which alternates between two states is known as a wig wag. Since this sort of circuit would be likely to be used to control alternating lights, I'd always assumed that they were named after the electrics.

'Course it's possible that the circuit itself was named after the wavy US railroad signs...

Thanks for the various informative answers. But, trackman, at a canal crossing, the bridge physically prevents passage when lifted, or turned across the canal.

Think about how typical canal lift and swing bridges work. I think you will realise that what I said has a valid point!

Usually the bridge lifts or swings to one side only, leaving open access on the other for a vehicle that ignores the signals to go straight into the cut.

Even on the side where the bridge is, a nasty accident would result if a vehicle ran into the structure at any speed and the vehicle could still end in the canal.

Remember these lights are often used at open crossings with no physical barriers, or at those with half barriers that vehicles can drive around if the driver is daft enough.

Edited by trackman

Flip-flop, surely?

MP.

ETA example: http://www.msarnoff.org/chipdb/7474

Hmm, it does appear that the circuits I remember are all to do with flashing lights. So circuit prob. named after its purpose, not the other way around.

Should have Googled before posting...blush.png

I must admit I had in mind the greater majority of those I have encountered which are mechnaised complete with interlocking gates which have to be fully shut before the bridge can be opened, but I guess there are others since there is no standardisation of mechanised bridge design! (I was also assuming that we were talking specifically about mechanised ones)

Think about how typical canal lift and swing bridges work. I think you will realise that what I said has a valid point!
Usually the bridge lifts or swings to one side only, leaving open access on the other for a vehicle that ignores the signals to go straight into the cut.
Even on the side where the bridge is, a nasty accident would result if a vehicle ran into the structure at any speed and the vehicle could still end in the canal.
Remember these lights are often used at open crossings with no physical barriers, or at those with half barriers that vehicles can drive around if the driver is daft enough.