Fitting Brass Terrets and Swingers

plainsman

Featured Posts

I have a collection of old terrets and swingers but not the base plates. I want to fasten a couple to the pigeon box and believe some sort of flat plate with a treaded portion is needed. Can anyone suggest a supplier? I've looked at the main chandlers but they only sell the complete units

As terrets and swingers are originally working horse decoration perhaps these may help?

http://www.nationalhorsebrasssociety.org.uk/Core/Horse-Brass/Pages/terrets_swingers-1506.aspx

s-hcatp41.jpg

National Horse Brass Society.

http://www.nationalhorsebrasssociety.org.uk/Core/Horse-Brass/Pages/Default.aspx

Edited by Ray T

The "baseplate" on ours is more like a "base cylinder", its probably a bit over an inch diameter and a bit over an inch tall (too cold to go outside and measure). Any machine shop, and several people on the forum, could make them for you.

..........Dave

Hi.

The baseplate and threaded upstanding are an easy make, the problem could be matching the thread at the base of the terret. I've several terrets, and not all of them a common thread. According to Bob, who runs an independent machine shop at Norton Canes Boatbuilders, one of the old school engineers, not all of the threads have readily available imperial size taps. Just a thought....

Cheers

Dave