Rear Deck Boards

Sarahr

Featured Posts

Has anyone got any updated info on this topic? My Hexagrip boards are falling apart at 10 years of age.

I've been offered some 3mm thick ally treadplate. Rather than have a frame welded to the underside (it needs to be 3/4"/19mm thick at the edges) I'm thinking of using 16mm thick pieces of oak, glued to the underside around the edges and with a couple of cross pieces, glued using resin, and then the oak treated with several coats of danish oil or similar.

Thoughts are that the oak will not rattle like ally tubing would when the panels are in place, and oak is very hard wearing provided itrs properly oiled etc. BUT how anti-slip is ally treadplate? Its sold for outdoor use and is supposed to be anti-slip but is it????

Any thoughts anyone? Maybe it's a crazy idea smile.png

Terry

My boards are nearly 9 years old but I stuck 20mm aluminium angle around the edges a few years ago with marineflex. I painted the boards afterwards with International Interdeck non-slip deck paint.

That's what I did after failing with the cheap stuff. Mine are fine after three years, though I do put a cover over the back deck to keep the bulk of the snow off them over winter.

• 4 years later...
Just now, Kevin Anderson said:

Wood Deck Repair and installation services company will maintain, replace, or reinforce all hand railing, and joists for your safety and the deck’s overall upkeep.

Do you think the cost of getting to the UK, & the quarantine requirements would still make them competitive with a local company ?

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

leaving nothing but a faint air of spiced ham

It would be faint, yes: thanks to a report by an eagle-eyed member, his membership lasted just 27 minutes, which is not a record but is pretty good going.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

It would be faint, yes: thanks to a report by an eagle-eyed member, his membership lasted just 27 minutes, which is not a record but is pretty good going.

i would have reported, but i figured as @Alan de Enfield had been first on the scene that I'd only be duplicating his efforts

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

I saw a narrowboat with TekDec fitted to its aft deck, and it looked smart, imitating caulked teak deck on  a yacht.  I'd quite like something like that instead of a the existing rubbery non-slip painted surface, which is a bit basic.

The boater said TekDek used to be expensive, but was now cheaper. Having looked at the TekDec site, it's still really expensive (between £150 & £350 per square meter).

Does any one know of any similar but cheaper alternatives?