Anyone got the 2013 copy of Nicholsons 4 counties & welsh ...

dor

Featured Posts

Help please!

My copy is on the boat and I need to check a small detail. It's Nicholson's Guide No. 4 - Four Counties and Welsh Canals.

On the Montgomery canal, I need to know what name it gives to Bridge 84. My 2003 issue calls it "Pryles Bridge" whereas it is usually referred to as "Pryces Bridge". I'm just writing an article and need to refer to this discrepancy if it is still there.

Many thanks

Help please!

My copy is on the boat and I need to check a small detail. It's Nicholson's Guide No. 4 - Four Counties and Welsh Canals.

On the Montgomery canal, I need to know what name it gives to Bridge 84. My 2003 issue calls it "Pryles Bridge" whereas it is usually referred to as "Pryces Bridge". I'm just writing an article and need to refer to this discrepancy if it is still there.

Many thanks

Canalplan refers to this bridge as Pryce's Bridge.

Canalplan refers to this bridge as Pryce's Bridge.

Thanks Matty - Although it should be written (for some historical reason, probably like Lloyds bank) without the apostrophe!.

Want I want is know if it has been corrected in the latest (2013) issue of Nicholson's.

I was a bit surprised (and I don't know why really in this day and age) but these are printed in China. Have we no printers in this country?

We have, but they want paying loads more money than the Chinese ones. With the way printing works nowadays, the publisher sends a .pdf file to the printer, and that's what's printed. It's almost worth sending things like a parish newsletter to China to get printed nowadays.

It's been many years since actual metal plates went back and forth from the publisher to the engraver to the printer and back again.

dor - brilliant!

Hi Richard

It's the first time I've tried doing an edit on OpenStreetMap and not sure if I've messed things up!

I was just trying to put a small line of text in to identify the bridge. I was interested to see the bridge was already numbered, but in view of your connection with OSM, I thought there would be more information about the canals! The bridge number only appears when you zoom right in, so is not very useful unless you want to identify a particular bridge, rather than look for a bridge with a particular number. I find the OSM setup quite interesting though.

I did initially wonder if there was a historical reason for it being called Pryles Bridge, but it would appear to just be a typo in Nicholson's.

Yes, OSM really needs a waterway-specific rendering, along the lines of OpenCycleMap and the Transport layer, to highlight waterway features and de-emphasize others. I've been meaning to do one for ages but have been a little preoccupied by my own OSM-based cycle map. This year maybe!

("Pryce" is a good Marches name - I'd be very surprised if the bridge was actually called Pryle's Bridge.)

Yes, OSM really needs a waterway-specific rendering, along the lines of OpenCycleMap and the Transport layer, to highlight waterway features and de-emphasize others. I've been meaning to do one for ages but have been a little preoccupied by my own OSM-based cycle map. This year maybe!

("Pryce" is a good Marches name - I'd be very surprised if the bridge was actually called Pryle's Bridge.)

There is this OSM based one: http://canalmap.net/canal.html - but it doesn't have bridge names or numbers that I can see.

Chris

• 7 months later...