Digital to analogue audio converters?

Timleech

Featured Posts

Not strictly for boats in my case, so I don't mind if mods want to move it to the VP.

Our Telly (mains) died on Christmas eve. Bought a new LED set, the picture is good but because of the constraints of the very slim case the sound is cr*p. Of course, they would love you to buy a matching 'sound bar', but that isn't going to happen.

Most of the time we'll live with it/get used to it, but there are times when something better is needed.

It has a 3.5mm output jack for line or headphone output. That works quite adequately fed into our stereo system, but the snag is that the socket is hidden round the back of the set, a nightmare to plug in, and plugging anything in cuts off the internal sound, & I don't want to be using the external amp all the time.

The TV also has a coax digital output, which I'm guessing is 'always on' as there's no linked mechanical switch.

There are digital to analogue audio converters for this job on the market for anything from £7 to £250. Anyone here any experience of the lower end stuff, as regards sound quality and reliability? Any hidden snags?

The TV has SCART and USB sockets, but these are both listed only as inputs so I'm guessing audio out won't be available from either of them?

Thanks

Tim

If the Scart is "fully" populated, audio will be present on some pins - we use a SCART for audio out at home with this connector. However, sometimes cables and sockets only come "partially populated" and the necessary pins are not present / connected - its worth a try though if this is more easily accessed...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

If the Scart is "fully" populated, audio will be present on some pins - we use a SCART for audio out at home with this connector. However, sometimes cables and sockets only come "partially populated" and the necessary pins are not present / connected - its worth a try though if this is more easily accessed...

Nick

Presume if it did work, the SCART could remain permanently plugged in? That's the main objective.

Thanks

Tim

I ran out telly through the hi-fi at home for years using the stereo output on the SCART connector. Easy to do and worth while. The digital output is intended for surround sound decoding - not cheap £100's to £1000's.

If all you want is to feed a stereo, then just buy the cheapest one you see. The quality will be much better than almost any home stereo setup, with the normal quality limit being the speakers. Most of the converters use the same chipset anyway, with different features enabled..

As someone else said, though, the main market for these boxes is for super whizzo multi channel playback, with a subwoofer that can shake the room, and speakers in all the corners as well as under the screen, so the idea of using the audio output on the SCART socket makes more sense. You ill need to site the speakers appropriately, of course,\or you'll very quickly get annoyed by the sound appearing to come from the wrong place, which is why sound bars are so popular.

I ran out telly through the hi-fi at home for years using the stereo output on the SCART connector. Easy to do and worth while. The digital output is intended for surround sound decoding - not cheap £100's to £1000's.

I'll certainly give the SCART a try, to see whether there is audio out wired to it.

These are the sort of cheapy converters I was talking of. There seem to be the 10 quid ones and the 30 quid ones, from lots of different sources.

Tim

Nick

I've never yet encountered a SCART connector without stereo audio connections on it.

I get frustrated that Pingu always turns the stereo off again and listens through the TV speakers, as soon as my back is turned, because the TV remote control doesn't control the audio level of the stereo (unless I use the headphone socket which I don't like because it's in the front of the TV and I have to leave the drop-down front flap open to have a plug in it)

I'll certainly give the SCART a try, to see whether there is audio out wired to it.

These are the sort of cheapy converters I was talking of. There seem to be the 10 quid ones and the 30 quid ones, from lots of different sources.

Tim

Reading the advert, you'll also need to buy a power supply, as they don't state it's included, but it will do what you want.

I'll be *very* surprised if there's no audio available on the SCART connector, though.

I've never yet encountered a SCART connector without stereo audio connections on it.

It is listed only as an input, so presume they only need to have it wired as such. I'll experiment in due course, and report back.

Tim

Reading the advert, you'll also need to buy a power supply, as they don't state it's included, but it will do what you want.

I'll be *very* surprised if there's no audio available on the SCART connector, though.

From the linked ad:-

"

Package content :

• 1 x Digital to Analog Audio Converter
  • 1 x Power Supply (UK plug)
  • 1 x English User Manual
  • "

The same or similar kit is listed for less money direct from the East, but with US or European plugs.

Tim

Tim

I'll have a look at one of those. I'm running an Arcam one - sounds great...

How many SCART sockets does it have? If two, then one may be input only and the other input/output.

Only one.

I've splashed out £1.79 (inc. postage) on a scart to phono lead from ebay, to try it out.

Edited by Timleech

If you Google "SCART Pinouts" you will get an option for a load of images for the pins and what each does.

I have had cheap cables for specific types of kit when only the cores needed were wired up, so wouldn't work for all applications. Most sold as "cables only" are for players so "Audio Out" will naturally be wired up - I have had to make up leads of the length I want, so bought connectors and cable and soldered up myself

Nick

If you Google "SCART Pinouts" you will get an option for a load of images for the pins and what each does.

I have had cheap cables for specific types of kit when only the cores needed were wired up, so wouldn't work for all applications. Most sold as "cables only" are for players so "Audio Out" will naturally be wired up - I have had to make up leads of the length I want, so bought connectors and cable and soldered up myself

Nick

The one I've ordered is switchable between audio in and out.

I'd considered butchering a cable I have lying around, but for that price decided it wasn't worth bothering.

Tim

If you don't want to use your stereo try a separate amp and speakers. I did this for my keyboard: a Lepai amp (£18 on eBay) plus some freecycle speakers. Job done!

More than happy to use them, the amp is right behind the TV, just want using them or not to be an easy option.

No room for more speakers anyway!

Tim

I tried the SCART route only to find that they are for input to the TV only. Not a lot of use if you have multiple inputs.

Similarly of marginal utility is the stereo headphone socket as it disconnects the internal speakers (these can be useful on occasion)

However most / many TVs have a Toslink or fibre optic sound output. IMHO the coax output on the tv is for video only and not a composite signal.

I bought one of the cheapies (being a cynic methinks they are all the same; all that changes is the price...). Works well in stereo. I never went any further so I don't know whether the output is Dolby encoded -

because it was overall a bit of a faff, I've now invested in a Yamaha amplifier which has HDMI inputs - it strips out the full Dolby 7 channel sound as well as directing the selected channel to the TV.

(Apologies for the excess detail - but it may be useful to some...)

Short answer - yes, the converters do work and are adequate for any "normal" person's use!)

I tried the SCART route only to find that they are for input to the TV only. Not a lot of use if you have multiple inputs.

Similarly of marginal utility is the stereo headphone socket as it disconnects the internal speakers (these can be useful on occasion)

However most / many TVs have a Toslink or fibre optic sound output. IMHO the coax output on the tv is for video only and not a composite signal.

I bought one of the cheapies (being a cynic methinks they are all the same; all that changes is the price...). Works well in stereo. I never went any further so I don't know whether the output is Dolby encoded -

because it was overall a bit of a faff, I've now invested in a Yamaha amplifier which has HDMI inputs - it strips out the full Dolby 7 channel sound as well as directing the selected channel to the TV.

(Apologies for the excess detail - but it may be useful to some...)

Short answer - yes, the converters do work and are adequate for any "normal" person's use!)

My reference to coax output on the TV was to a Phono (RCA) type coaxial socket, rather than an aerial type - though I know that reference to a 'co-ax' plug or socket does tend to be assumed to imply the aerial type if there's no other description.

Tim

I can't help thinking, the best thing to do would be to return the TV saying the sound is too poor quality, and swap it for a telly with better sound at approx. the same price. While a retailer is under no obligation to do this, if its same price or a little more, most would do it.

Both the panasonic tv on the boat and the one at my mothers have a separate level setting for the headphone socket and the inbuilt speakers.....they both also have the headphone outlet recessed on the side. I have used the headphone outlet to connect both sets to audio amps very successfully. You can leave the mini jack in as it doesn't mute the inbuilt speakers.

Not much help to the OP but might be worth thinking about for anyone considering a new set.....also the 19" set on the boat has the lowest power consumption of any set I could find....it does need 240v though as there isn't a separate power brick.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

I can't help thinking, the best thing to do would be to return the TV saying the sound is too poor quality, and swap it for a telly with better sound at approx. the same price. While a retailer is under no obligation to do this, if its same price or a little more, most would do it.

Modern edge-lit TVs are very slim, the chances of getting 'good' sound from the limited space available for the speakers are negligible, I reckon. The competition isn't likely to be much better, if you want good sound they'll want you to buy a Sound Bar.

It's perfectly listenable for most programmes, but totally inadequate for music or dramatic cinema films.

The set was chosen to fit an exact space, and a decent price for a reputable brand. There was nothing else we could find on the web which satisfied all the criteria.

Our old set (only 4 years old, actually!) had no audio output but we used to take audio from the DVD recorder to the stereo system when we wanted good sound. That's no longer a satisfactory option, because our son bought us a Blu-ray player with smart TV facility for Christmas & it wouldn't work with that.

Both the panasonic tv on the boat and the one at my mothers have a separate level setting for the headphone socket and the inbuilt speakers.....they both also have the headphone outlet recessed on the side. I have used the headphone outlet to connect both sets to audio amps very successfully. You can leave the mini jack in as it doesn't mute the inbuilt speakers.

Not much help to the OP but might be worth thinking about for anyone considering a new set.....also the 19" set on the boat has the lowest power consumption of any set I could find....it does need 240v though as there isn't a separate power brick.

Cheers

Gareth

This set does mute the inbuilt speakers when the headphone socket is used.

The headphone volume can be set separately, via the remote through an on screen menu, or the socket can be set for 'line out' at a fixed level, but the mute applies in both cases.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Very common with these new very slim TV's. There is no room to create the 'oomph' (technical expression) behind the speakers. My mother in law bought one to replace an ageing Hitachi and moaned about it for weeks until she gave in and bought some separate 2:1 speakers with a mini sub woofer which sat behind the telly improving things dramatically - it also stopped me getting eternal earache about how I needed "to set it up properly" so that it would sound like the one it replaced.

As an addendum, I have car radio(s) on the boat (The management wants "The Archers" and I Radio3) both have separate speaker(s) and external inputs.

I had in mind to link the tv to one of these giving a bit more oomph without much more expense or more equipment??