Staffs Worcs Canal Blocked below Whittington Lock

notaminga

Featured Posts

Have you reported it to CRT. Not much point just posting it on here and not saying whether you have reported it to the correct authority who would be able to do something about it.

That seems a bit harsh, she is just being helpful.

Alex

Certainly did not mean it harsh. Apologies if it came across harsh.

It urgently needs reporting if it is blocking the canal and the people to report it to are CRT. Perhaps she does not know that she can report it and therefore, hopefully will now have done so, so that the canal can be cleared for herself and others.

We came across a couple of trees down on The Shroppie on 22nd. They were not big trees but were right across the cut. We managed to snap one off close to the root by hooking it with our bow rope and reversing. The other was at an opposite angle so we drove into it and again, snapped it off meaning boats could just about squeeze through with caution. As soon as I got out of the cutting and gained a phone signal I called CRT to report it. I identified the place by giving the two bridge numbers either side of the blockage (22 & 23) . She then repeated the information back to me for confirmation - Lock 20!!! then asked if it was on the Middlewich branch!

I corrected her and ensured she had the correct info before hanging up. When we reached Gnosall another boater told me the trees had been down for two days prior to me making the call. He had simply driven over the top of them. We passed back that way yesterday and they were still there but with considerably more breaks in the trunks where several boats had obviously had a go and clearing the channel in a similar way that we did. I suspect it won't be nearly as easy to ensure all the debris is cleared now it has been chopped up so much. I know it has been the holiday period and CRT staff deserve a break too but I do wonder if there are any fallen trees been cleared over the holiday period or not

Ive moved this boat down from Penkridge and couldn't believe how many trees have been down or are still leaning at crazy angles. There's so much wood up there any liveaboard should have the roof full. Indeed, some stretches past Stafford were hard going with the amount of tree debris in the cut.

Ive moved this boat down from Penkridge and couldn't believe how many trees have been down or are still leaning at crazy angles. There's so much wood up there any liveaboard should have the roof full. Indeed, some stretches past Stafford were hard going with the amount of tree debris in the cut.

Slightly seperate note but we drove from Sheffield to Lincoln earlier today thinking that narrowboatists would have a field day with all the fallen trees we saw :)

Slightly seperate note but we drove from Sheffield to Lincoln earlier today thinking that narrowboatists would have a field day with all the fallen trees we saw smile.png

Don't your local narrowboatiists have chain saws? (I like that term & will no doubt use it when I own one). I had to go to Gloustrer early AM and 'just happend' to have a chain saw in the back of the van.

Road cleared, van full of quality wood, other peops with boot full of same. Every one happy, if slightly delayed.

Hi all. Yes, I did of course report it, but doubt very much if it will be dealt with quickly as they are all on their hols at the local office. I dare say there will be a bit of a backlog (sic)! Anyway, there's another biggy down across the towpath at Cookley. Yes we have a chainsaw, but these are too big to tackle with a small saw, and mostly in the water. They'll be needing a big Tirfor as well I guess.

I was posting on here as I don't think CART will get around to posting a stoppage notice in the circumstances.

Edited by notaminga