Aire & Calder Flood Locks

arcsyst

Featured Posts

Fwiw I started out with a genuine question and desire for information, along the way I tried to, lets say, be a little lighthearted in honour of the festive season. It seems however that some posters either don't have a sense of humour or prefer to try to belittle other posters; a phenomenon I have noticed before in this forum. To those I have nothing more to say, to the people who genuinly have tried to help I say thank you.

No, I don't buy that. Folks here are offering their genuine advice out of concern. Your thanks will mean nothing if they hear bad news about you later.

I see no humour in your posts, sorry. Or belittling in the replies.

Good luck.

I would hate to get into difficulty on that stretch from Castleford to Lemonroyd. CRT aren't a rescue service (as we once discovered when we got stuck on that river). We were facing spending the night in the middle of the river stuck in mud....(not good with a rising river).

(snip).

;-)

But better han stuck in mud with a falling river! captain.gifboat.gifcaptain.gificecream.gif

Iain

But better han stuck in mud with a falling river! captain.gifboat.gifcaptain.gificecream.gif

Iain

Not so:) If you're stuck in mud with a rising river, it can cause a suction on the boat baseplate, and the water moves up while your boat doesnt, till you sink. I'd be happier with the falling river scenario anytime :)

Fwiw I started out with a genuine question and desire for information, along the way I tried to, lets say, be a little lighthearted in honour of the festive season. It seems however that some posters either don't have a sense of humour or prefer to try to belittle other posters; a phenomenon I have noticed before in this forum. To those I have nothing more to say, to the people who genuinly have tried to help I say thank you.

The belittling started in post #10 when you 'belittled' Grace and Favour's advice in post #8, so you merely got as good as you gave I'm afraid.

The belittling started in post #10 when you 'belittled' Grace and Favour's advice in post #8, so you merely got as good as you gave I'm afraid.

WTF? I simply expressed my position as someone who is not risk averse I did not/do not intend to ridicule/belittle anyone's view. Quite the contrary I have been educated to the diff between a flood lock & gate. I am entitled to my view/position, it does not mean that I don't take on board other peoples points of view - that my friends is a bigot.

Done here.

WTF? I simply expressed my position as someone who is not risk averse I did not/do not intend to ridicule/belittle anyone's view. Quite the contrary I have been educated to the diff between a flood lock & gate. I am entitled to my view/position, it does not mean that I don't take on board other peoples points of view - that my friends is a bigot.

Done here.

It was perfectly logical sensible advice - in that you would be highly likely to void your policy should your boat and you flounder having disregarded the advice of CRT not to proceed onto a flooded river. It is well known that ins. co.s will find ways of avoiding paying out when they can. There are examples of this happening in a number of threads posted on here so for you to say 'I will ignore that advice if I want it's a matter of personal choice' (paraphrased) is to dismiss and be-little it when in fact it could have saved your ass.

We see bravado like yours occasionally on the forum, we also see that those displaying it seem to get a bit miffed and sometimes flounce when not everybody gathers around and shouts -'good for you mate you go for it!' rather than what most do which is urge caution.

Edited by The Dog House

Not so:) If you're stuck in mud with a rising river, it can cause a suction on the boat baseplate, and the water moves up while your boat doesnt, till you sink. I'd be happier with the falling river scenario anytime smile.png

If you've got stuck with a rising river, at least you've got (usually!) a fighting chance of getting off in the near future. If you're stuck on a falling river, you may have to wait for the river to rise again before getting off, by which time you will be well and truly stuck, with a lot of stiction/suction to overcome. Also, if the river is falling and is preventing immediate release, how far is it going to fall? If one end of the boat stays where it is (aground) and the other drops a metre or so, the boat coud be in big trouble.

At least, that's my take on it cheers.gif

Iain

And with more rain forecast for tomorrow unlikely to open any time soon.

The joys of river boating smile.png

They were still shut this afternoon as well, to be honest there was no reason today to be shut as the river wasn't in flood and not much flow.