Lister petter fuel consumption canal star or LPSW2

Peugeot 106

Featured Posts

If the engine specs are the same then you may find that the differing fuel consumption figures are under different condition. Take the average.

I would doubt however that both or either tests were on a 25ft boat so probably not relevant to you anyway.

Edited by Burgiesburnin

Different data sheets which I don't quite understand. I've just bought LPWS2 so worried I should have got canal star as consumption seems to be a lot less but engine seems the same? Boat is 25 feet narrowboat which had 10.8 bop engine which was too small

I have a LPWS3 and I average a litre/hour on the canals and this only doubles when on the river running flat out. So I would not worry too much.

I have a LPWS3 and I average a litre/hour on the canals and this only doubles when on the river running flat out. So I would not worry too much.

That fuel consumption seems to be par for the course. I reckon the OP is worried unnecessarily before he has even done some boating with the engine. I'm sure he will be pleasantly surprised when he gets some first hand data. biggrin.png

Thanks for the reassurance. Taslim the surveyor tried the boat and said the engine is a bit small especially for rivers/tidal . The prop is correctly sized I checked with a prop refurbished. The previous owner said he needed tow on Ribble link we are in Lancaster and also struggled Thames. I have done a lot of sailing on yachts and fitted engines myself but am new to narrow boats though appreciate low power is the norm. I have motored across Irish Sea many times with 7 hp vire so know what is involved. I talked to many people and the consensus was that 15-20 hp would be better

• 4 months later...

We've had Hekla since January and have clocked up 396 hours using 346 litres, so that works out at 0.88 l/hr, with a mix of moored, canal, and river - including the Trent in flood against the flow.

I'm suprised you find 10.8 horses to little for a 25ft canal boat.

Have you looked at prop size/type?

Ahh... To late, you bought the motor.

I have just solved this mystery - the engine couldn't have made more than 5.4 HP. One of the big ends has gone, probably due to a bent conrod as the piston describes an interesting dance at the ends of the stroke

Richard