Montgomery canal

colmac

Featured Posts

Intending to do the Llangollen next March and want to include the Montgomery. Have been told we need to book passage as there is a restriction on the amount of boats allowed on the Montgomery. Can anyone confirm this is the case ?

Thank you

yes, I think the restriction is 12 boats down a day and you have to book. We phoned a couple of days ahead when we knew when we were going to get there but that was in September. Don't know if you have to book further ahead in the busy season.

It is well worth the trip, lovely canal but getting very overgrown form both bankings.

haggis

Yes you have to book. Phone the usual number, 0303 040 4040, and they'll put you through. 48 hours notice is needed at this time of year, and the lockings happen between 12 and 2pm.

It's a great canal, and The Navigation at Maesbury Marsh is well worth a visit.

It is a fantastic canal. The visitor moorings are I think all 48 hours, and I believe there is a limit of 14 days on the canal as a whole. In August we called up on the Monday morning and book to go down on the Wednesday. Both when we went up and down that was not the full complement of boats booked, so I suspect it does not often get booked up.

Beyond the usual mooring time limits is there an overall time that can be spent on this canal

Thanks

I don't think they let you spend more than a week. Others no doubt will correct me if i am wrong. I have been on it once and we got to the end and back in 24 hours but that really isn't enough time to appreciate it and it makes a welcome break from the busy Llangollen.

I was told by the lockie that you can ring before 10am on the day to book passege, but i'd book earlier to be sure. I think it's 2 weeks you can stay down there. Don't think there is ever anything like 12 boats going through but that may change once the new marina opens.

Casp'