Brentford happenings?

WJM

Featured Posts

The bit by the services is a temporary tow path diversion as the people building the flats are doing something on that bit of the path, its added a bit more adventure to getting in and out of my mooring, but I dont tend to use the pump out machine because it's rubbish.

Whilst I cant quite remember what the plans are for the warehouses, I seem to recall that they are listed but have permission to turn them into some public space, I think a foot bridge is going across there as well...

What with the town redevekopment starting soon Brentford is fast becoming the ideal place if you like cranes, diggers and pillings shacking teeth out for 12 hours a day.....

• 6 months later...

There are now two 'workings' built out into the canal at Brentford Basin. I am curious to understand what they are. The bank has been dug up and steel pilings driven down into the canal at both places. There are pumps running but after months of this nothing seems to have been built. Does anyone know what the purpose? Water extraction?

There are now two 'workings' built out into the canal at Brentford Basin. I am curious to understand what they are. The bank has been dug up and steel pilings driven down into the canal at both places. There are pumps running but after months of this nothing seems to have been built. Does anyone know what the purpose? Water extraction?

We can't work it out either, it looks as if they have reclaimed some land but I can't think why, I will nip over me take some pics in a bit.

The really annoying thing is that the pumps run 24 hours a day, really noisy. When people move in, I bet they complain about boat noise...

So, for those that are not from round here or have yet to explore, Brentford is under siege from the developers, they have turned our industrial ditch into waterside property alongside the homogenised world in which we seem to live. Here is the yet to be finished latest effort..

BsnBfl6.jpg

As part of the process they have dug up some of the tow path in two places, giving us wobbly diversions as a temporary measure. Here..

WDN9823.jpg

The confusing bit is why? They seem to have put in a double row of pilling with a pump running 24/7. Here..

TDyFT5g.jpg

And here..

SQR2jTl.jpg

And here..

HgVjCEv.jpg

Looking at it logically, I wonder if they have rebuilt that part of the bank after works and needed to section it off for the repair?

Any clues?

As you can imagine living here has been a challenge, the noise is constant at moment and we have lost an hour of sun. We are current looking to escape..

On the other hand, I quite like what they have done with the wharfs so far..

5kWk6Cp.jpg

At present the visitor moorings are down by about 200ft I reckon, that includes the new canoe platform. It looks temp and to be honest, it's so noisy I'd sooner tie up outside the fox and get the bus down. (Or stay in the fox..)

There is still quiet often space though..

I think I prefer that new woodwork to the post industrial rusting. Let's just hope the new neighbours don't want to purge the canal of boats. There's plenty of mooring in that pound still.

Edited by oarfish