Norbury Junction to Crick

Traveller

Featured Posts

Will be picking up a boat at Norbury Junction with a view to bringing it down to Crick Marina. There does not appear to be too many locks other than around Hatton but I note the route takes me through the middle of Birmingham - which I have never done. Is there anything we need to be wary of or is it pretty much a nice friendly route?

Not sure whether the trip will be now or in the spring. The plan is, I think, the sooner the better.

There are 115 locks between Norbury and Crick going via central Birmingham. Another option, 20 miles longer but only 49 locks, is to go north of Birmingham via Fradley Junction and the Coventry and North Oxford Canals. This alternative route has the additional advantages that there are far fewer broad locks which are harder work than narrow ones, it is more attractive avoiding most large conurbations and there are plenty of mooring spots and pubs etc. You can get distance/lock info from the route planner at Canalplan-EU.

If you do want to go through Birmingham I have found it safe and it is particularly interesting for a canal enthusiast but far from scenic. I would advise planning the journey to moor at the well known spots. Near Brindley Place in the centre of the city is an excellent place to stop as is the Black Country Museum at the north end of Dudley Tunnel.

Edited by NBDensie

If you decide to do the trip sooner than the spring, you'll have to plan very carefully because of the winter works. For example, on your more scenic route, there are lock closures in November and December on the Staffs and Worcs, the Atherstone flight is already closed until almost Christmas, and Watford locks are closed for a couple of weeks in December. After that, Woodend Lock on the T&M is closed for a couple of weeks in January.

All the winter stoppage details are here.

Going via the Stourbridge and through Netherton Tunnel is a few more locks but it's an interesting route - much more interesting than all that very straight Main Line.

If you go that way, you'll still have to do most of the straight bits anyway! If you don't like the main line, you'd be better off going via Wolverhampton and staying on the old line as far as Smethwick.

If you go that way, you'll still have to do most of the straight bits anyway! If you don't like the main line, you'd be better off going via Wolverhampton and staying on the old line as far as Smethwick.

And look out for the heron when you go under the M5.

There has always been one perched on the side when we've been that way.

It looks really out of place amongst all that concrete!

Birmingham and the BCN as a whole is fascinating, we caused hilarity amongst our friends when for three years in a row, when asked where we were going for our holidays, we replied "Birmingham" Not particularly busy either even in the height of summer, we could cruise for hours without seeing another moving boat.