Going from inboard to outboard engines!!!!

jack2

Featured Posts

Hi,

As per previous posts, I have a seamaster 32 type boat with twin Enfield and perkins 4107 drives. One of the engines is kapoot and the other is getting on a bit.

I have hot water on gas, so don't need a calorifier.

I have been thinking about replacing them with 2 used outboards.

Benefits - easy to fix , repair, remove and maintain. easier for the BSC more space on board

But gusty on fuel.

I could sell my Enfields and spares for the perkins to help pay for the 2 outboards. - along with filters, starters, exhausts etc.

Would I be better to go for 2 40/50hp or one 90hp plus a small one as back up.

It is used on Canals and sometimes coastal work as a holiday boat only.

Good to hear your thoughts.

Hi,

As per previous posts, I have a seamaster 32 type boat with twin Enfield and perkins 4107 drives. One of the engines is kapoot and the other is getting on a bit.

Benefits - easy to fix , repair, remove and maintain. easier for the BSC more space on board

But gusty on fuel.

I could sell my Enfields and spares for the perkins to help pay for the 2 outboards. - along with filters, starters, exhausts etc.

If your only tootling about the inland waterways one 20hp should be sufficient.

If you're used to twin inboards going to a single outboard will be something of a culture shock. I wouldn't do it.

Twin o/b's maybe, but the Seamaster still won't handle as nicely as the engines she was designed for. You will drastically alter the trim of the boat in one way or another.

Presumably this boat has a suitable transom to hang an outboard on?

Another consideration with o/b's above 20HP is can you easily remove them for servicing, otherwise the boat will have to come out of the water, and you really do need to keep on top of the servicing with an o/b.

4107's and Enfield outdrives is a tried and tested combination and you can still get the parts - I'd stick with what you have and get the duff engine rebuilt.

Why not raise this on the YBW Motor Boat forum http://www.ybw.com/forums/index.php

I think some of the bigger outboards have alternators these days, although they're not very high output.

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Midrange/specifications

A friend of mine used to push a 72ft butty along with a 25hp outboard. It was fine until you wanted to stop!

Edited by blackrose

Hi,

But gusty on fuel.

Are you sure your boat is a Seamaster?

it is More likely a Senior or Princess 32

There is a Seamaster 813 (27 footer) on the upper Thames which has it's original BMC 1.5 inboard with conventional shaft as well as a Honda 15 h.p. outboard installed on a bracket attached to the bathing platform.

one or both engines can be used!

The main consideration with an out board conversion on your boat would be service access,would be best to install a 'splash well' in the transom

IIRC a 15 h.p honda can produce 6 or 8 amps of charge at cruising speed.

A single out board would suffice on inland waterways

Some Seamasters have outdrives, most I've come across are on shaft but if you do go down the O/B route my feelings are 2 X 20 would be plenty and remember that you will probably have to alter your Transom to ensure your props are below the underwater profile of your hull. Many people forget that to have effective reverse the prop wash must NOT act on the back of the boat but be free to power back on clear water.(Opposing forces and all that) if your leg is to short you will be able to make headway OK but the moment you reverse next to nothing happens.

Phil

Hi,

Thanks for all your thoughts. Most of them I had mulled over , but others I had to rethink!

My final choice is to remove both Enfields and advertise them, and to dismantle the perkins 4107 and advertise the parts, along with the watercooled exhausts,heat exchagers, manifolds, raw water pumps, filters, calorifier, etc.

With the money I make doing this will enable me to fit an outboard for ease of maintenance.

I will be adverising the parts here first, then perhaps on a well know auction site.

If anyone is looking for parts e-mail me with details of what you are interested in.

Thanks for all you advice.

Philip