Missing colour schemes

AMModels

Featured Posts

From my own interest.

W. Mead. Tring.

Busshell's Tring.

Sabley.

Never come across any ideas about these boat colours in relation to Antelope and Buffalo.

Sabley ? Sabeys maybe?

Did Bushell Brothers, (note spelling!) ever operate boats in their own livery, or were they just builders for others? (Maybe they could hire change boats to other operators whilst they took their boats in for repair??).

Haven't followed the whole thread, but if we are in this general area, what about Dickinsons?

Bushell Bros had 11 narrow boats health registered at Tring.

Thanks Pete,

I can't recall ever having seen pictures of boats lettered up as Bushells, but I may simply not be remembering.

Are you aware of any, please?

Not many boats in Severn and Canal colours, despite it being the ? third biggest ? carrying company.

Who are 1 & 2, then?

Thanks Pete,

I can't recall ever having seen pictures of boats lettered up as Bushells, but I may simply not be remembering.

Are you aware of any, please?

Who are 1 & 2, then?

The quick answer to 1 & 2 would probably be FMC and GUCCCo, however Ernie Thomas and Yates Bros operated fleets of around 400 boats apiece but leased many so boats not in their names are actually their boats.

Not many boats in Severn and Canal colours, despite it being the ? third biggest ? carrying company.

Not many in Severn & Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. colours as there are not many survivors. I do recall Tom Mayo's modern pleasure boat ELIZABETH V in these colours in the early 1980's.

Severn & Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. were certainly not the third biggest fleet, at least not based on health registrations (and yes I know they had several tugs, barges and estuarial craft that were not health registered). As far as health registrations Severn & Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. had 187 but S.U.R.C.Co. had 889, F.M.C. Ltd. 712, G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. 379, Manchester Ship Canal Co. 375 and Anderton Co. 287 - and each of these companies almost certainly had more health registered boats that I do not know about (yet).

edit - I have deliberately not included B.C.N. boats of which there are hundreds of carriers with a few boats, as well as a few carriers with hundreds of boats.

Edited by pete harrison

The quick answer to 1 & 2 would probably be FMC and GUCCCo, however Ernie Thomas and Yates Bros operated fleets of around 400 boats apiece but leased many so boats not in their names are actually their boats.

Yes, I'm assuming FTS means FMC and GUCCo, but I would always treat the British Waterways fleets formed out of these post 1948 as another carrier, (even if much of it was the same boats).

So sorry James, not number 3, in my book, quite apart from what Pete also says about it!

Don't forget about the wide boat fleets in the north, several of which would have been much larger than the S&CCC.

• 1 month later...