Length of rope

Philip

Featured Posts

I'm looking at replacing the front and centre ropes on my cruiser which is 24" long, normal narrowboat width. Anyone know the length I should be looking at for each? I'll use the centre line for locks so would like a length that covers narrow locks up to 13 feet deep and wide locks up to 10/11 feet, with a bit of slack.

Ed...

Deerrrrrrr coz I didn't read the question, stoopid.....

Didn't see we were talking bow and stern lines....

Edited by The Dog House

Depends on where you want to go, big locks will require long ropes.

Other than that, get it slightly shorter than your boat, so the line at the front can't catch in the propeller if it falls in!

That doesn't really work on a 24ft boat (even less so on a 24" one, assumed typo) :-)

George ex nb Alton retired

Depends on where you want to go, big locks will require long ropes.

Other than that, get it slightly shorter than your boat, so the line at the front can't catch in the propeller if it falls in!

That doesnt really work on short boats. Our boat is 7m in length but the absolute minimum length of rope we need for where we moor is 10m which is still a little on the stubby side. We are currently using 15m on the front and 12m on the stern. We dont bother with a centre line.

I'm looking at replacing the front and centre ropes on my cruiser which is 24" long, normal narrowboat width. Anyone know the length I should be looking at for each? I'll use the centre line for locks so would like a length that covers narrow locks up to 13 feet deep and wide locks up to 10/11 feet, with a bit of slack.

So, you're centreline will need to be 10m, and I suggest that bow and stern lines will need to be similar (you may need to use them as springs) - so I would get 5 at 10m

Your bow and centre lines should be exactly 1cm too short to reach the propellor, for those times when you accidentally leave them trailing in the water. You should also have a stern line but that can be any length because you will always stow it away before the boat moves. And stow does not mean hanging it jauntily from the tiller where the propellor can entice it downwards into it's hungry jaws. Well that is my recipe for a rope-free propellor!

Spinal Tap moment!

Your bow and centre lines should be exactly 1cm too short to reach the propellor, for those times when you accidentally leave them trailing in the water. You should also have a stern line but that can be any length because you will always stow it away before the boat moves. And stow does not mean hanging it jauntily from the tiller where the propellor can entice it downwards into it's hungry jaws. Well that is my recipe for a rope-free propellor!

I prefer to have my centre line a bit shorter than the full length of the boat so I would guess That Theodora's is about 50' long. In high winds I have been know to use it to strap the boat across the canal by putting it on a bollard or around a tree and driving ahead (or astern) on the engine. I Like to have a good dense rope that will carry well when I throw it up to the top of Barrow Deep lock. It could get in the prop if I am not aware of where it is.

Nick

Have you read any of this post before writing that?

Spinal Tap moment!

Always mix them two, I can gurantee it won't be the last time!

I went for a thick 10m centre line as I work locks by myself quite a lot so having a rope that carries well is handy. The front rope is 8m long and reasonably thin - can't see something as lightweight as a cruiser really needing thick rope for mooring.

Always mix them two, I can gurantee it won't be the last time!

I went for a thick 10m centre line as I work locks by myself quite a lot so having a rope that carries well is handy. The front rope is 8m long and reasonably thin - can't see something as lightweight as a cruiser really needing thick rope for mooring.

You can get carried away and buy over thick ropes which then become unweildy to use. We did this the first time around and quickly gave them away.

In the end we have settled on 12mm braid on braid Marlow rope for NC. Its nice to handle light and more than up to the job. It was thoroughtly tested out in a Force 8 easterly in Wells harbour and never for a moment did we think it would give way despite some serious pitching, rolling and snatching. We were more concerned about the cleats on the pontoon!!