Chimney sweep

Chalky White

Featured Posts

Ive long been worried about all of the crap from my flue building up behind the back boiler on my squirrel, so when I replaced the back boiler recently i thought I'd modify the rear flue plate to be removable from the outside, hence providing access to behind the back boiler.

It was really simple.Once I had removed the back boiler (that bit wasn't easy!) I ground off the seized nuts to remove the plate and then removed the studs.

Then its a simple job to drill the stud holes all the way through so that a similar sized bolt to the original stud will have clearance. (8mm I think) The pegs were tapped and screwed all the way up to the bolt heads and secured with locktite, a dab of weld would be better but I dont have a MIG.

The end of the bolt can be cut with a little hacksaw in line with the peg in order to give you the pegs orientation when you cant see it.

Thats it! Turn the pegs to allow the plate to be offered and when its in place, simply turn them through 90 degrees and tighten the exterior nuts.

20130921_1333181.jpg

20130921_1333301.jpg

Ive long been worried about all of the crap from my flue building up behind the back boiler on my squirrel, so when I replaced the back boiler recently i thought I'd modify the rear flue plate to be removable from the outside, hence providing access to behind the back boiler.

It was really simple.Once I had removed the back boiler (that bit wasn't easy!) I ground off the seized nuts to remove the plate and then removed the studs.

Then its a simple job to drill the stud holes all the way through so that a similar sized bolt to the original stud will have clearance. (8mm I think) The pegs were tapped and screwed all the way up to the bolt heads and secured with locktite, a dab of weld would be better but I dont have a MIG.

The end of the bolt can be cut with a little hacksaw in line with the peg in order to give you the pegs orientation when you cant see it.

Thats it! Turn the pegs to allow the plate to be offered and when its in place, simply turn them through 90 degrees and tighten the exterior nuts.

20130921_1333181.jpg

20130921_1333301.jpg

That's a great idea. I was trying to work out if I could get that plate off from the outside only the other day. Wish I had thought about it when fitting the stove now! It's certainly a challenge cleaning behind the boiler.

Tom

Are we no longer allowed to employ young children from the poor house to clean chimneys? I miss the good old day.

Didn't 'they' also use to throw chickens down the chimney.?? We've got plenty of coots round 'ere, and the muck wouldn't show.

I've been wondering what the equivalent of the ancient practice of dropping a goose down the chimney is - perhaps a moorhen?

Richard

Didn't 'they' also use to throw chickens down the chimney.?? We've got plenty of coots round 'ere, and the muck wouldn't show.

Snap!

icecream.gif

Richard

Hi,

I use one of the old type of Loo brushes. The one with the stiff bristles & long wooden handle. I then tie it to my boat pole & work it up & down the flue. Works a treat & only cost a couple of quid.

Fred

Is that a cassette loo brush or a pumpout loo brush?