Yet another Mobile Phone topic! Three.

Theo

Featured Posts

Mine is SIM only, 30 day contract, £25 a month.

The number of devices isn't limited by Three (unable to) but by your phone which is usually 5.

Sorry Robbo I mean only to be used in a phone as opposed to a dongle.

Plus I'm sure I've read on their site there is a limit to the number of tethered devices, but yes maybe they mean limited by the phone itself.

Ed. This link explains how three manage their Network using something called 'Traffic sense.' for anyone interested.

Edited by The Dog House

Ah I see the problem. I contacted 3 about tethering & was told that I could not do so. But I did mention my dongle / router so I guess they went on that & not tethering via a phone.

We are on the 15gb package & quite often get close to using it all & twice in 4 years have gone over & basically been fined £50 each time for the data we used over the 15gb. I have now had them remove the credit limit on the account so it cant go over again. I would rather pay more for a bigger allowance as each month near the end of the billing period I have to keep checking whats left & then we either have to reduce what we use or go mad & down load all the catch up TV we have missed whilst trying to keep under the limit to use up the remainder. We have 3 or 4 people here that all use the internet.

Ah I see the problem. I contacted 3 about tethering & was told that I could not do so. But I did mention my dongle / router so I guess they went on that & not tethering via a phone.

We are on the 15gb package & quite often get close to using it all & twice in 4 years have gone over & basically been fined £50 each time for the data we used over the 15gb. I have now had them remove the credit limit on the account so it cant go over again. I would rather pay more for a bigger allowance as each month near the end of the billing period I have to keep checking whats left & then we either have to reduce what we use or go mad & down load all the catch up TV we have missed whilst trying to keep under the limit to use up the remainder. We have 3 or 4 people here that all use the internet.

this is a good move and of course it's not widely promoted by 3 that you can do this as they love the extra money that comes in when people unwittingly go over their limit.

You can do similar with your phone too in order that you don't go over your minutes and text allowance (and data limit if you have one). It also stops multimedia messages being sent if they are outside your package and calls to numbers not included in your bundle (including of course calls received and made while roaming abroad) - again not widely promoted by Three and you may have to be quite firm with the Three bod to get them to activate it.... as they like to encourage you to keep the facility to go over your limit for obvious reasons.

Edited by The Dog House

• The One Plan £15 a month Sim only
  • All-you-can-eat data
  • 2000 minutes
  • 5000 texts
  • 5000 Three-to-Three minutes

Free 4G when it comes in and tethering is fine.

Yep. This is the best. IF you're in an area with ok coverage by 3- their signal can be a bit shaky in some far flung parts. We have a One Plan each as I'm not home when John wants Internet. But if you have a phone with wifi hotspot you can happily add several connections to it

Three's minimum level of service is 3g hence the name. This is one area where other providers score as they can drop down to 2g when required.

Was referring to the lack of 4G signal out in the sticks...

'4G isn't just about fast phones. Matthew Howett, principal analyst at Ovum, points out that 4G is welcome news for "residents of rural and remote Britain, many of whom lack even the most basic broadband services. For the final third of the UK that will not be passed with fibre broadband, mobile remains the most likely solution."

4G signals travel further than 3G, so they bring the Internet to parts of the country other data signals can't reach, making 4G a credible alternative to piping the Web in the old-fashioned way.

This to me says it will reach the spots that 3G could not, meaning countryside!

Ok, it will need the aerial things upgraded all lover the uk, but in time it should cover most of the uk...

Unless im reading it wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

something i read that may get around the tethering issue is to use a 3rd party app for the data sharing part. Therefore rather than connecting a laptop or other device directly to the phone through tethering, the phone uses the data via the app and then the app shares the data, therefore adding a stage to the process and not being detected as tethering. I have to say i've only just seen this info and not sure how accurate it is. But apps mentioned were Foxfi, PdaNet, and Easy WiFi. Might be android only as well. But *could* be useful?

despite all I have said over the months, I am now of the opinion that Three's The One Plan may not be all that it seems, and may be severely limited by another name! See my new post here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60769

I don't think there is anything surprising there though. You would not expect any ISP to let their network be a free for all, they have to mange the bandwidth. I don't think that it means that the One Plan is any less valuable, but that you have to have realistic expectations for what you are paying, which is basically £15 per month for the calls/texts/network, which has to be good value.

Was referring to the lack of 4G signal out in the sticks...

'4G isn't just about fast phones. Matthew Howett, principal analyst at Ovum, points out that 4G is welcome news for "residents of rural and remote Britain, many of whom lack even the most basic broadband services. For the final third of the UK that will not be passed with fibre broadband, mobile remains the most likely solution."

4G signals travel further than 3G, so they bring the Internet to parts of the country other data signals can't reach, making 4G a credible alternative to piping the Web in the old-fashioned way.

This to me says it will reach the spots that 3G could not, meaning countryside!

Ok, it will need the aerial things upgraded all lover the uk, but in time it should cover most of the uk...

Unless im reading it wrong?

I think in due course that will be true, but as you would expect the initial roll out of 4G is going to be in large cities. For Three when they start to roll out 4G at the end of the year it will initially be Birmingham, London, Manchester and Reading, and 2014 will bring a slug of other cities online. I would have thought it is only going to be post that time that more rural areas start to get good coverage, so at last 2015. I would hope at that time there will be a step change in coverage and speed in the locations that most people on here are looking for, but it is not going to happen in the next few months sadly. As you will see from the Three page they say that when 4G is enabled "in your area" (presumably based on your billing address?), if you have a 4G phone you will get upgraded to 4G for free.