Anchor pub

romanyrose

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

It appears that the Anchor pub Diglis basin has closed,great shame will be much missed by locals and boaters

a proper canal side pub with dart and crib teams as well as the renowned belly buster breakfast

A friend, having had much time to kill recently while waiting for the Severn flood waters to abate, spotted a notice at the Anchor stating that it was now being refurbished and will re-open soon.

But the High Offley Anchor does seem to be a bit Marmitey, doesn't it? Even to the extent that someone says that if you don't like it they wouldn't want to have a drink with you. And it's certainly not the real ale freaks who keep it going. I think some people here are aware of my enthusiasm for good pubs and beer, and I think the Anchor at High Offley is one of the most overrated canalside pubs on the waterways.

I think some people here are aware of my enthusiasm for good pubs and beer, and I think the Anchor at High Offley is one of the most overrated canalside pubs on the waterways.

You could be right as they still don't serve real ale (Guiness) but I believe the attraction to others is its quirkyness.

And the accolade of being a Richard Dreyfuss lookalike........lol

Like it Mike, no ones said that to me before :-)

But the High Offley Anchor does seem to be a bit Marmitey, doesn't it? Even to the extent that someone says that if you don't like it they wouldn't want to have a drink with you. And it's certainly not the real ale freaks who keep it going. I think some people here are aware of my enthusiasm for good pubs and beer, and I think the Anchor at High Offley is one of the most overrated canalside pubs on the waterways.

Yes Marmitey is a good description, I don't care if you like it or not, I'll still drink with you :-). I like a decent pint of ale & if it's not drinkable then I'll usually take it back. I haven't had a bad pint at the Anchor, but I've spoken to people who have, & I've had better condition beer elsewhere. It might well be overrated, but I for one, still love the place. Britain would be a much sadder place without pubs such as this, Tinkies, and other quirky time warp pubs.

Well I like the Anchor at High Offley. The extensive haute cuisine menu is AMAZING.

They don't offer it to everyone though. Only the real boaters... ;)

MtB

Olive has made us some very nice toasted sandwiches at the Anchor, better fare than plenty of pubs I've eaten at :-)

Actually the best I've ever had there was a Mother's Pride cheese sarnie suffocated in clingfilm for most of the day. Like you say though, better than many pubs on the cut.

MtB

Hopefully the Anchor in DIGLIS BASIN will re-open to provide a consistently good pint of real ale, reliable food and an agreeable clientele.

You could be right as they still don't serve real ale (Guiness) but I believe the attraction to others is its quirkyness.

Sorry, but in my capacity as Official Beer Pedant I must point out that Guinness is not real (ie unpasteurised) ale, although quite acceptable when proper beer is not available.

I'm not keen on Guinness, I don't like Italian beers................................................................