Cover for a widebeam- thats non pram?!

Chris83

Featured Posts

Not sure what they're called or if they exist- do people ever have wood and windowed covers made over the stern of the boat- barge style? Am looking at a pram cover for my WB, but thought as its a square back I wonder about a more substancial cover.

Its standard tiller stear, so would have to be built with this in mind, and imagine it would probably not be collapasable, or as quick as a pram anyway.

Not sure what they're called or if they exist- do people ever have wood and windowed covers made over the stern of the boat- barge style? Am looking at a pram cover for my WB, but thought as its a square back I wonder about a more substancial cover.

Its standard tiller stear, so would have to be built with this in mind, and imagine it would probably not be collapasable, or as quick as a pram anyway.

Yes there are many ways of doing this. I am building one for mine in the spring. I agree that pram covers are hopeless and only of use on well err Prams and playtime boats like narrowboats for instance. Comfortable boats such as a widebeam require a more substantial, grown up item.

Tim

Wooden wheelhouses on widebeams (and the occasional NB) are quite a common sight on the Northern waterways, especially where headroom is not an issue and people don't have to ensure they can fold them down to pass under low bridges, though obviously not having a folding one will restrict cruising range. Normally the roof moves forward on to the roof of the boat and the tops of the sides fold down against the lower sides.

Mirfield build widebeams from new with a wooden wheelhouse up here as they are quite popular. There is a Mirfield boat on our LTM with one. Others have added one to their existing boat.

Whilst they are aesthetically not to everyone's taste I think FWIW they can look OK if done right.

Edited by The Dog House

Yes there are many ways of doing this. I am building one for mine in the spring. I agree that pram covers are hopeless and only of use on well err Prams and playtime boats like narrowboats for instance. Comfortable boats such as a widebeam require a more substantial, grown up item.

Tim

Best reply ever!

Didnt realise just called a wheelhouse, so that will make searches easier.

Reckon possible with a tiller stear? Has it been done?!

Best reply ever!

Didnt realise just called a wheelhouse, so that will make searches easier.

Reckon possible with a tiller stear? Has it been done?!

Hi

Deffo possible with the tiller in place, there are several around. I will be keeping my tiller steering it is far more precise and quicker than a wheel.

Tim

Just consider extra weight when creating your cover.

So shallow on the K&A at the moment that I ended up taking out 2 tons of ballast just to keep moving.

More weight puts her deeper in the water.

Quite a few around here with tiller bar through a 'letter box' slot. Then put brush plate top and bottom as you see on letterboxes and that stops vermin/flies etc. as well as working as a draught stop.

Dinz

Hunters Moon

K&A