How Many BW Converted Workboats Still Exist?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

If you know what section she worked, there is the possibility that some ex-yard workers would remember if you can find them. The records of work done to various BWB boats might not have survived (something else of our 'heritage' that went in a skip), but it might still be worth pursuing the official channels, just in case.

If you know what section she worked, there is the possibility that some ex-yard workers would remember if you can find them. The records of work done to various BWB boats might not have survived (something else of our 'heritage' that went in a skip), but it might still be worth pursuing the official channels, just in case.

Thank you Derek

This is an avenue I am in the process of following up. I was advised by CRT that none of the staff who would have worked with Python were still employed in the area.... It is one of those things where if I were in the area I would wander over and just talk to the people on the ground and ask but being so far away doing these things by telephone it can be impossible to get to speak to the person who might have the clue.

However - CRT have been most helpful and are going to place a small piece in "The Source" which I understand is a magazine distributed to CRT staff and also (and this is the one I hold most hope for) a piece in the pension newsletter. I am unsure what dates this will be published but certainly the next available issue. I live in hope!

Stating the obvious, but have you asked Pete Harrison for anything he knows about Python?

Instinctively it feels like a "late 1970s / early 1980s" shortening, but it seems surprising if there is nothing currently that can date it any closer than the very wide window you have specified.

I am also surprised quite so few pictures of it have emerged, with it being a London based maintenance boat.

EDIT:

Another thought is that Tam Murrell I think knows a lot about what went on at Bulls Bridge in roughly that sort of era, (he has posted pictures of the Grand Union buttys being scrapped there, for instance). I assume Python was done at Bulls Bridge?? I bet he used to see Python a lot, so might have some memories of when it was cut? Worth a PM?

Edited by alan_fincher

Obviously a while away yet, but the next Braunston Historic Boat show might help you find some ex-steerers.

Last year we spoke to Rocket Ron about his time with Pintail and got some little snippets from the horses mouth.

Thanks Jake, I so wish I could get to Braunston but it clashes with The Chesterfield Canal Trust's own festival again next year as it did this year.

I suspect if I had realised I may have met some significant people at Ricky this year but I know so few people at the festivals and when you travel further south there are a lot more different faces so I would not have had a clue who might be significant or not.

Maybe next year the word will get around that I am after information and if the opportunity arises people will point people out I need to have a chat with or suggest they come and have a chat with me :)

Stating the obvious, but have you asked Pete Harrison for anything he knows about Python?

Instinctively it feels like a "late 1970s / early 1980s" shortening, but it seems surprising if there is nothing currently that can date it any closer than the very wide window you have specified.

I am also surprised quite so few pictures of it have emerged, with it being a London based maintenance boat.

EDIT:

Another thought is that Tam Murrell I think knows a lot about what went on at Bulls Bridge in roughly that sort of era, (he has posted pictures of the Grand Union buttys being scrapped there, for instance). I assume Python was done at Bulls Bridge?? I bet he used to see Python a lot, so might have some memories of when it was cut? Worth a PM?

Pete Harrison has been an absolute star and provided me with a raft of information to base a lot of the research on. His information just refers to Python being shortened "at a later date"

From the information I have so far I believe Python spent her entire working life in the south only venturing up as far as Saltley for docking (although there are no records of gauging for her (yet) She was shortened at Bulls Bridge and the picture of her in green is exactly how Dave remembers her when he used to work at The London Chest Hospital and spend his lunch hour chatting with Larry from one of the locks (I forget which one) and Python was often part of the scene. I suspect there could well be more pictures of her to emerge. I am aware of two more in an archive that I have not yet seen. She was sold to The British Transport Commision in January 1949 then in 1962 transferred to The Engineering Department based at Bulls Bridge in march 1961. She stayed in that area until she was collected by The Chesterfield Canal Trust (from Adelaide Dock) in May 2009.

The information Pete Harrison gave me has sent me off on a number of different angles of research and you spend an hour or so going down one avenue and other side streets open up along the way, many of which you do not have time to explore fully at that moment but are noted to return to and visit when time allows. It is truly fascinating and rather exciting too! Even if I do not have photo's (yet) I am building a wonderful picture of the social history relating to the boat. Only last night i was reading a old thread on this forum where Tam Murrell was talking about things at Bulls Bridge and made a mental note that I need to drop him a message - I now have two peoples names I need to follow up who might shed some light on the subject.

From the information I have so far I believe Python spent her entire working life in the south only venturing up as far as Saltley for docking (although there are no records of gauging for her (yet)

I have comprehensive gauge records for the B.C.N. Company, Grand Junction / Union Canal Company, Oxford Canal Company and Port of London, so when I wrote:

PYTHON was not gauged by the Grand Union Canal Company, the B.C.N. Company or the Oxford Canal Company.

it is a fact, and "(yet)" will never be found.

Thanks Pete,

I had just clicked "send" on an email to you about this subject while you were posting that.

My understanding of the guaging process (or rather interpretation of the fact that there are no records of Python being guaged) is highlighting a large gap in my knowledge.

More research is needed (if my little brain can cope with it)