Engines.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Look at your engine from above. Look for the number 710. You have found the dipstick.

Works for me on my Thorneycroft 108.

Thanks Allan, as I said earlier, we're going down to Cloud 9 tomorrow evening or Sunday morning, I'll have a look then.

Edited by Beaker

This is an impossible question to answerr properly in less than 10,000 words. Imagine someone asking the same about truck engines...

I very much doubt your friend with the Austin Cambridge had a BMC 1.5 diesel in it. My dad's had a B Series petrol engine, same as an MGB but fewer carbs. I don't remember there being a diesel option. Closely related but not the same.

I suggest you buy a boat with a Gardner smile.png

MtB

I am afraid they did it is where it made its debute and it should have been scrapped and consigned to the dustbin of crap engines the day after!!! I know you all love them but in cars ans vans it couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding etc . My friend needed head bolts a few months ago we couldnt get them new and the secondhand ones sent by a well known engine supplier were not much better!!! so my answer is lots of boats out there with modern engines buy one it will be less painfull in the long run.

Peter

Nobody put the effort into making marinising parts would be my guess. Plus, as Alan says, they're a bit big

Beyond that, perhaps BMC were more amenable to selling engines to boat builders than Ford - who knows

Richard

Its because they had thousands of them laying around that nobody wanted so they gave them away in unlucky bags!! wink.png

I have found Vetus spares prices to be higher than some other manufacturers. I find the gearbox rather noisy too when going in to gear.

I find the 100 hr thing a bit short and would be changing the oil every other week when on trips. I tend to leave it about 150 hrs. I always winterise it with fresh oil regardless of hours since last change, and feel this is important.

I don't know about the gearbox thing, ours isn't Vetus.

The rest all goes for me, it's what I do anyway.

Bob

I would have assumed the water pump to be an original BMC part not usually changed on marinisation, though, so not sure I follow that argument!

Yes, that would be me confusing coincidence with cause and effect, again.

Actually it was more of an observation than argument, it's strange that AFAIK the old 1.8 engine managed with just one type of water pump whereas the 1.5 seems to have had at least four in its lifetime, which suggests that cooling these engines was something of an issue..? I'm wondering therefore if all the different marinisers of these units had their own ways of dealing with this which involved some interference with the circulating pump.

British Leyland seem to have constantly messed about with the impeller sizes and the number of holes on the pulley wheel boss - I can't think why but then again a lot of stuff that went on at BL didn't make much sense.

That looks the same as my engine, although by a better mariniser. If you see the yellow arrow at the bottom of the pic, that is the air fliter spigot. If you feel under that you should feel the metal loop that is the oil dipstick. It pulls out (if indeed I am right and it is a Mitsubishi S4L)

20130921_184552_zpsa6f6342f.jpg

Its the green arrow in this picture, just in front of oil filter, right hand side of engine (ignore red circle)

Vetus-motor-007-Copy_zps5de9b200.jpg

Edited by Guest

Ooh, have a greenie, thank you!

I still couldn't see it, but found it by feel, maybe next time I'll take out more of the panelling around the engine.

Is that your engine? Do you ever use it, it's immaculate?

Edited by Beaker

Ooh, have a greenie, thank you!

I still couldn't see it, but found it by feel, maybe next time I'll take out more of the panelling around the engine.

Is that your engine? Do you ever use it, it's immaculate?

No, it is a pic I found ages ago! My engine doesn't look like that now I'm afraid. It does run as well as when new though!

It's nicely painted although I'm not overly impressed with the oil filter having been included in the re-spray, that will be a sod to get off once the paint has hardened and glued it in place.

Vetus spray the lot that colour, including all filters and hoses. It took me ages to find the timing marks under the acres of paint. Can't recall having probs with the oil filter when new, though perhaps they lightly grease it before fitting?