CC-ing distance. (again)

DeanS

Featured Posts

Thanks Alan. At least we know what "ballpark" CRT deem ok, or not. ;-)

Actually Dean I suspect we may not as we will have the Act, then CRT's guidance, then local agreements so give it a couple of years and if you travel several canals you may find yourself checking each time with CRT regarding to local "ballpark" definitions of bone fide navigation. Local VM regulations and charging regimes etc. hopefully this is not the future

Actually Dean I suspect we may not as we will have the Act, then CRT's guidance, then local agreements so give it a couple of years and if you travel several canals you may find yourself checking each time with CRT regarding to local "ballpark" definitions of bone fide navigation. Local VM regulations and charging regimes etc. hopefully this is not the future

Surely as every Canal has different problems concerning Continuous Cruisers then a local solution has to be the answer.

I like you also worry about Visitor Mooring variations as this effects all boaters as an example this is the sign on The Gloucester and Sharpness Canal

1234925_719362278078918_2043804380_n.jpg

On The G&S it is clearly a penalty!!! I have now seen these signs at 2 locations and have only been here for 1 week.

Surely as every Canal has different problems concerning Continuous Cruisers then a local solution has to be the answer.

I like you also worry about Visitor Mooring variations as this effects all boaters as an example this is the sign on The Gloucester and Sharpness Canal

1234925_719362278078918_2043804380_n.jpg

On The G&S it is clearly a penalty!!! I have now seen these signs at 2 locations and have only been here for 1 week.

Do these work on the basis that if you stay longer than, say 48hrs, someone delivers a letter to your boat, saying you need to leave, and if you dont you'll be fined...and then....they deliver the fine sometime after that.

or...

do you just try and renew your licence and then they say.....actually....you owe us £25.

The reason I ask is....at Clarence Dock in Leeds they have these signs...and I woke up ...on an empty VM....with the wind howling...and decided to sit it out for a bit before moving. I didnt receive any knock on the boat to say I was over my time limit....but anyone looking out the CRT offices window would have seen me, and logged me in some database

paranoid again...I know.....but you get the point :)

do you just try and renew your licence and then they say.....actually....you owe us £25.

I was told by a legal bod (and it was confirmed by a BW chap) that they cannot refuse a licence because you owe them money for something different, nor can they add one debt on to another unrelated one.

However...(as usual)...if the debt incurred is due to overstaying penalties (legal or not) then they could refuse to licence your boat because of non-compliance with s.17.

I have just been invited to comment on the Consultation - Towpath Mooring Plan Kennet & Avon Canal west of Devizes. The report is at http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4082.pdf but you cannot contribute unless specifcally invited.

20Km (12.5 miles) is a range, not a total distance, to be completed within the period of an annual licence; i.e. if you do A-B-C-D-C-B-A then 'A' must be at least 12.5 miles distant from 'D'. For those who depend on employment, schools etc this means they will, on average, have a 10Km (6.5 mile) commute. This seems to me to be a very reasonable requirement, way below current possible interpretations of 'bona-fide navigation'. e.g. Devizes - Wooton Rivers 15 miles no locks.

On the other hand they list just 14 locations between Foxhangars and Bath top lock which seeks to exclude isolated locations previously considered a place where overstayers cause no inconvenience.

The fact is that government are unable to house thousands of familes and rents in the private sector far exceed the cost of a mortgage (6%-25%). BW/CRT seek to use legislaton to relieve their contribution to alleviate this problem. Clearly, there must be some control on CC'ing/permanent mooring and this pilot is reasonable with the exception of their refusal to establish 'community moorings' (at a charge). GB is in dire financial straights, establishment of cheap accomodation (compared to bed & breakfast etc) for those willing to endure it would make a large contribution to the budget.

Dean etc. - do not worry! This pilot scheme seeks to protect your chosen way of life. Further, it suggests that an occasional digression should not result in any action other than a few points on your licence. The best compliance officers (even GW, who received some bad press here) will knock on yor roof or call your mobile before taking action.

Personally, I would like to see an averaging of progress; sometimes I want to stay for a month, sometimes for a weekend - so long as I would have complied had I stopped at the intermediate places. No complex computer system required; a spreadsheet will suffice.

Well that couldn't be clearer, really useful as that's exactly where we are and plan to cruise for the next year. TBH that's so easy to comply with from our point of view, it hardly warrants thinking about. Just make sure we don't overstay anywhere, simples.

On the other hand they list just 14 locations between Foxhangars and Bath top lock which seeks to exclude isolated locations previously considered a place where overstayers cause no inconvenience.

They're excluded by name but you can still moor at those locations they're there but just somewhere between stated locations. I'm not sure the canal mileage from Devizes to Bath, I would guess 16 miles, so it seems that an average of just over a mile between locations. I think that's pretty reasonable in any ones book, probably far to reasonable for the anti CCrs though LOL boat.giflaugh.png
  • Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

I have just been invited to comment on the Consultation - Towpath Mooring Plan Kennet & Avon Canal west of Devizes. The report is at http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4082.pdf

Brilliant link Alan - extremely informative and will be relevant to us, or will be, when we make it onto the waters as CCers as this is one of our chosen locations as well as the GU. The guidelines seem to me to be both clear to understand as well as easy to achieve, from a novices point of view.

Is anyone aware if there is a link to the same sort of guidelines for the GU? I appreciate the above link only applies to the western end of the K&A.

Ta

B~

Please forgive me for starting yet another CC-er thread. I'm so sorry. I have no axe to grind, or wish to stir up trolls. ..but I have some serious questions, if I'm wanting to remain legal in the future smile.png

I have no need or desire to go on a 2000mile journey.

I do have an "area" of the country which I specifically enjoy cruising around.

The question, again, is ....how far must one travel to remain legitimate?

For example...let's say I enjoy being on the L&L canal....it's 96miles long. (something like that). Could I travel...Wigan....Blackburn....Burnley....Gargrave......Burnley....Backburn....Wigan...Blackburn.....Burnley....Gargrave...

or...could I do ....Wigan..14days....Aslington...14days....Blackburn....14days.....Aslington...14days....Wigan...14days....etc

This is all very confusing....

Do I just do my best...live on the towpath...and if asked to move on...then move.....

I have NO INTENTION of living foul of the law....and

NO INTENTION....of being a bridge hopper...and

NO INTENTION....of mooring anywhere longer than 14days....

I just want to know what the rules are, so I can plan my life to follow them.

Many will tell me A, B, C , back to A etc is the spirit of the law. How does a monitor person know you went to B and C if they clocked you at A in month 1 and A in month 2 again...etc

IM not being funny when I say this but you live near the Cheshire ring why not go for a narrowboat and just spin round the ring complying without a shadow of doubt ever?

Please forgive me for starting yet another CC-er thread. I'm so sorry. I have no axe to grind, or wish to stir up trolls. ..but I have some serious questions, if I'm wanting to remain legal in the future :)

I have no need or desire to go on a 2000mile journey.

I do have an "area" of the country which I specifically enjoy cruising around.

The question, again, is ....how far must one travel to remain legitimate?

For example...let's say I enjoy being on the L&L canal....it's 96miles long. (something like that). Could I travel...Wigan....Blackburn....Burnley....Gargrave......Burnley....Backburn....Wigan...Blackburn.....Burnley....Gargrave...

or...could I do ....Wigan..14days....Aslington...14days....Blackburn....14days.....Aslington...14days....Wigan...14days....etc

This is all very confusing....

Do I just do my best...live on the towpath...and if asked to move on...then move.....

I have NO INTENTION of living foul of the law....and

NO INTENTION....of being a bridge hopper...and

NO INTENTION....of mooring anywhere longer than 14days....

I just want to know what the rules are, so I can plan my life to follow them.

Many will tell me A, B, C , back to A etc is the spirit of the law. How does a monitor person know you went to B and C if they clocked you at A in month 1 and A in month 2 again...etc

Not being a great expert on the matter but I am convinced that its really what your intention is that matters. If you intend to keep on moving on a progressive journey then I would say that you are a legit ccer.

As you have stated, your intension is not to do what we all know to be the actions of pretend ccers.

You don't intend to bridge hop or stay longer term in one spot. You are therefore a ccer.

What causes the problem is when pretend ccers pretend to cc with the full intension of breaking the rules.