Favourite rust converter?

Neil2

Featured Posts

I've recently used the FE-123 on some pretty bad rust in the cratch lockers but I did knot wheel first to get rid of all the really loose stuff. I then primed it with the Epoxy Mastic rust proofing by the same people. They said that as long as all the loose rust was off I could just use the mastic but because it was very bad I felt I should do a belt and braces job :)

Think I am going to use the epoxy mastic on the roof now too.

I found something called "POR 15" which seems to be very well regarded in the motoring world. I'd be interested if anyone's tried this product.

Used it on the kitcar chassis, stuck fairly well to the rust, but very badly indeed to the unrusted areas. I had cleaned and degreased it all, take almost all of the old paint off with the presure washer in the process, but had not used the 'bare metal primer' on the non-rusted sections as it out of stock at frosts and anywhere else I appears to be able to mail order it.

Daniel

• 3 years later...

Can I just revisit this thread: Best option is to clean back to bare metal, prime and repaint?

Failing that there are a number of proprietary products that convert the rust to something inert (ferrous oxide to ferric phosphate in the case of phosphoric acid)?

Anyone care to advise on the most suitable converter for e.g. the gas bottle locker?

And at a tangent - is Protectakote a good option for decks, gunwales and cabin roof or should I be looking elsewhere?

Protectacoat seems to hold together well, even with rust beneath it pushing it upwards. The surface paint seems to wear off the rubber graduals so the surface looks dirty, say over a couple of years

I had my roof, well deck and gunwales done with Protectacoat. After 15 years I have had to scrape it off the well deck so I could treat the rust but before that I used to scrub down with sugar soap, ,abrade while wet with a brass wire brush and give it a coat of Hemple bilge & locker paint.

The roof and gunwales are still sound but every couple of years I prep in the sane way but re-coat with whatever black paint I am using above the top rubbing band or in the case of the roof a "eggshell/off gloss" oil based paint from my local Crown trade centre.

2 hours ago, BoatyMacBoatface said:

Anyone care to advise on the most suitable converter for e.g. the gas bottle locker?

I don't think anyone can tell you what is 'most suitable', only what their preference is.

I favour Vactan because 1) you don't have to wash it off (and introduce water to 'bare' steel) and 2) it primes the surface.