Weed

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi this year we were doing 5 boats to Boston however both the canal between thorne and Keadby is covered in weed my friend Dave spent 8 hours doing this journey. Also another friend Paul went to Lincoln and he said after Lincoln the weaver turned into a green mat making life very difficult. We have now decided on York and maybe Ripon but wonder if that canal is in a weeded state? Anyone know if thats the case?

Peter

Hi this year we were doing 5 boats to Boston however both the canal between thorne and Keadby is covered in weed my friend Dave spent 8 hours doing this journey. Also another friend Paul went to Lincoln and he said after Lincoln the weaver turned into a green mat making life very difficult. We have now decided on York and maybe Ripon but wonder if that canal is in a weeded state? Anyone know if thats the case?

Peter

The Weaver isnt in Lincoln.

We came back up the Witham from Boston a couple of weeks ago and it really wasnt that bad.

The only bit that caused us any problem was about 200 yards of thick weed at the upstream end of Bardney Lock Cut. The rest was easily passable.

This was the bad bit at Bardney

DSCF3402.jpg

But the rest of it from Boston to Bardney and Bardney to Stamp End was more like this

DSCF3400.jpg

Easily navigable.

It is people spreading stories that is creating the problems in the first place. The river needs boat traffic to cut up the weed. The River Witham is passable and CRT are doing a fantastic job with the weed cutter keeping the river open to boat traffic.

• Greenie 1

Cheers it was late and I was having a moment I meant the Witham however after Thorne to the Trent was a nightmare for Dave and the 3 other boats every 200 yards stop clear go stop etc. We will have a look nearer the time to see if the problem has gone away. Many thanks for your help

Peter