Alternators

rickngill

Featured Posts

We have a large heavy duty alternator linked to our Old engine I have put a switch opposite the ticket box so i can disconnect the alternator when we are ploughing shallow canals works well for us.

Neat and simple :)

Don't really know what I'm talking about but I was told that a bigger alternator puts sufficient stress on the engine (sure stress is not the right word) that you can run in neutral.

The alternator will only be under any load if the battery's demand it, no matter how big the alternator.

Running an engine under load is an old wife's tale - post 1965(?) - with the introduction of modern engines and lubricants.

Alex

The alternator will only be under any load if the battery's demand it, no matter how big the alternator.

Running an engine under load is an old wife's tale - post 1965(?) - with the introduction of modern engines and lubricants.

Alex

i once posted a statement from Lister petter that says other wise.

Vetus also state in their manual that the engine shouldn't be run at tickover "for more than a few minutes." I am not qualified to say if Vetus are correct, but just reporting what it says in my user manual.

Vetus also state in their manual that the engine shouldn't be run at tickover "for more than a few minutes." I am not qualified to say if Vetus are correct, but just reporting what it says in my user manual.

I wonder how they do locks

Set the engine above tickover (that's what I do cause it shoves more amps into the battery bank)?

Turn it off and give everyone some peace?

Get a move on and get the lock done in less than "a few minutes"?

Keep thrashing between forward and reverse?

You should have seen the geezer in front of us last week in the lock queue! We had to chastise him for keep revving the balls out of his engine whilst in gear. He will have no bore glazing, that is for sure.

Edited by Guest